Two 30 something girls going to spain

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Two 30 something girls going to spain

My sister and I are wanting to go to Spain. We have both never been. We were thinking Barcelona 4 nights, Ibizza, 3nights and Costa Del Sol(dont know where to stay that is fun and beautiful with people in our age group). How does that itinerary sound? We will be going to Spain after Italy. Does the rail take you from Rome to Barcelona directly or are there stops along the way?
Any other fun places for us to visit would really help in our planning!
Thank you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM

hi, sandiegogirl,

well, where to start?

Don't know what your age-group is, so suggesions for the costa del sol migh tbe difficult, but my first reaction is to skip ibiza and just do BCN and Costa del sol. otherwise too much travelling, for little benefit.

To find out about trains from Rome to BCN, look at www.bahn.de [english version if you click on internat. gaeste]. It's long way, and probably more than 24 hours. A flight might be better. [try google]

Where else are you going, and when?

regards, ann

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM

No, no direct train from Rome. You have to change trains at Milan. But..it's too long a trip and also very expensive, flying is cheaper even on a non low- cost airline
Spain is not very organised in age groups locations. I mean, there are people from all ages everywhere..the places (bar, restaurant, disco) you go on that particular location are the ones who have most patrons of a particular group age.
That said, you don't say which time of the year you are visiting Spain. Sitges is great for both fun and beach and it's near from Barcelona. Also Salou is, but it's a lot more crowded in summer.
Valencia is also a big city and has always been great for the party scene here in Spain (nightlife, you know).
And if you are looking into places like Ibiza or Marbella...then don't forget Benidorm. I don't like it at all myself, but on this part of Spain, it's "party central" for british, german and spanish people all together.
(Young, not so young and retired people ...everybody seems to find a place to have fun there). I very much prefer other little villages not far from Benidorm that don't have such a "festive" feel.

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM

From Rome to Barcelona by train would take forever - at least 20 hours - I would defiitely look into low cost flights instead. And are you flying in and out of Rome - or will you do open jaws - into Rome and out of ?

I also would not do both Ibiza and Costa del Sol - too similar. Ibiza tends to be party central, nothing else - and I know you say "girls" but I think you may find that many/most of the crowd will be late teens/20s - with more of a mix of all ages on Costa del Sol.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM

Easy trick on European flights to / from smaller cities...find the smaller city's airport. Use www.google.(pick the country code) and you will find it. Usually there will be an English button for translation.

Check all arrivals / departures from the smaller cities and find out who flies to this city. It will save you time and, hopefully, money.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:24 AM
car

Your itineray sounds as someone mentioned, a lot of traveling for very much the same, except for Barcelona.
so for the days you have I think Barcelona plus one beach place will be better.
Barcelona also has a nice beach, but I will not consider it a "Beach place".
Such as Sitges,Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza, Costa del Sol.
I will exclude from your list Ibiza, and Costa del Sol. You will find the travelling from Barcelona (Your starting point?) slightly complicated,
I think Ibiza is for younger crowds, though the advantage of being 30īs is that you can blend well with 20's and 40's.
Costa del sol is not really a walking place, you will need a car and finding the right place for fun, might take you a few days.
You have a good and easy connection from Barcelona with Mallorca's main city Palma.
Good night life, easy to reach and some beautiful beaches, (car needed)
So Barcelona and Sitges
Barcelona and Palma
Barcelona and Costa Brava.
will be my suggestions.
Barcelona and Rome are about 1000miles away by train or car so it does not make a lot of sense.
From Barcelona you can fly to Pisa,Florence or Rome.
So if you intend to visit Italy you can not miss Toscana. So why not do your entrance via Florence and then 3 hours train to Rome.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. We are definitely not going to Ibiza- not into the club rave scene at all.
We are taking a flight from Barcelona to Rome. We are doing a Trafalgar Breakaway tour (21-38 year olds)around Italy in July. Barcelona and the beach sounds perfect right before our tour. Thanks!