Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Twice Yearly Sales in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/twice-yearly-sales-in-paris-259898/)

sparklegem Sep 21st, 2002 12:40 PM

Twice Yearly Sales in Paris

Does anyone know when the twice yearly sales are held in Paris? Also, any information about the sales would be helpful (are they crazy busy?). <BR><BR>Thank you! <BR><BR>Gem <BR><BR>

francesca Sep 21st, 2002 01:35 PM

The sales start in January and July and last for about 3 weeks. The first 10 days or so is only about 30% off--big deal. After about 10 days or so, there is the deuxieme demarque or second discount, which is where it really can become interesting; about 50-70% off. The first week or so of the sales is very busy, but you will do ok if you avoid Saturdays and evenings. At the end, there is no big rush. You can afford to wait until the end if you are a size 4 or size 12. Between those sizes, you are taking a risk as the sales go on because the middle sizes are the first to go. By and large, sale prices in the US are better. But for French brands that aren't that available in the US, you will find good buys. Bon courage.

sparklegem Sep 21st, 2002 05:54 PM

Francesca,<BR>Thank you so much for your reply!<BR><BR>Are the sales through out France and is there a way to find out the exact dates?I would like to plan our trip around them.<BR><BR>Very Best Regards,<BR>Gem

francesca Sep 22nd, 2002 01:01 AM

Yes, the sales are throughout France and all on the same date. I have no idea what the exact dates will be or who would publish that info. I can maybe ask the shop across the street and let you know. Anyway, if you want to catch the tail end (cheaper) end of the sale, you would need to plan to be here in early February and early August. Remember that not every store in France has a sale and that if you are over a size 12 you won't find anything except in "larger sizes" stores. I will see if I can get more info.

ian Sep 22nd, 2002 04:03 AM

sparklegem<BR><BR>We were in Paris July 9 & 10 - the sales were in full swing (ditto two yrs ago but 1 week later).<BR><BR>My wife spent an entire day & was thrilled with her purchases.<BR><BR>Her findings: smaller sizes were abundant (which worked for her, but not her larger sized shopping companion)

sparklegem Sep 22nd, 2002 06:28 AM

Francesca and Ian,<BR>Thank you so much for the help. It sounds like a lot of fun. I am thinking that the winter sale would be of more interest to me. I love sweaters, coats and wool and am always at a loss of what to wear in summer. My daughter's birthday is also in January; so it could be especially fun. <BR><BR>If we are not afraid of cold or rain will we still have a wonderful Paris experience visiting in January or February?<BR><BR>Also, could anyone suggest a good place to visit a for a week before our week in Paris?<BR><BR>Thank you and <BR>Best Regards,<BR>Gem<BR><BR><BR>

sandra Sep 22nd, 2002 08:35 AM

I have never been in Paris for the big sales but on my recent trip 5/24-6/11/02 there were no "SOLDES" so to speak but every store have "PROMOTIONS" which are sales. Granted the sales are only legal in the 2 sale months but promotions are legal all year round. semantics I guess

Christina Sep 22nd, 2002 10:55 AM

The French government decides the exact sale dates each year and publishes them. They can vary by a few days (sometimes they start the last few days in June for the summer one, but I haven't been there in winter so am not sure about those) but are similar for the most part every year. They can also vary a little bit by departement of France (last year they started earlier in the South or something, I think the govt. wanted to help out the provinces in comparison to Paris). I've been to them a lot in July and the crowds weren't that unusual in my opinion, but I didn't see many great bargains. I don't like to shop much when traveling except for things I can't buy at home or some unexpected needed item, though.<BR><BR>The Minister of Economics and Finance determines the dates and announces them, usually just a little before they officially start, I think (I know summer was announced in June). Last year, the official winter sale dates were Jan 9th through Feb. 17th.