Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Twenty Something Scene in London at Christmas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/twenty-something-scene-in-london-at-christmas-486229/)

jkandel03 Nov 15th, 2004 12:57 PM

Twenty Something Scene in London at Christmas

Hi,

My brother and I (both in our mid twenties) will be traveling to London for Christmas and then Amsterdam for New Years. Where should I stay in London to be close to the action and a lot of people my age? What clubs and pubs should I go to? I am more into the punky scene than the trendy, expensive nightclubs. My brother and I are both laid back and just want to go and have a good time. Thank you in advance for your advice!

m_kingdom2 Nov 15th, 2004 02:47 PM

Camden Town will suit you down to the ground - Belsize Park, Regents Park are nearby areas to consider staying in.

walkinaround Nov 15th, 2004 03:14 PM

i second camden town and in particular the stables market. also brixton and islington will suit.

check out time out ahead of time to see what music you might want to hear.

you may want to search for some other sites to get advice as well. this crowd tends to be a bit older than you and not very punky IMO.

flanneruk Nov 16th, 2004 12:45 AM

DON'T stay in Camden Town, Belsize Park, Islington or Brixton. And if you've described your priorities accurately, don't spend Christmas in London.

These are all relatively expensive near-suburbs, with some local action, and very limited hotel accommodation. Few people your age live near the clubs they frequent, not least because the club and pub scene is IMMENSELY complicated, and spread out pretty much all over the town. Few clubs are terribly near hotels.

You need to get hold of a current Time Out. This lists what's on in a given week at all the clubs (and you should look at the Comedy and Gay sections, as well as at the Club bit) and will give you an idea of where the places for you are likely to be. You'll almost certainly find (if you can decipher the in-jargon)they're in several different parts of town. Staying somewhere pretty central will mean you're close to public transport that can get you easily to different places: getting between outlying places, like Brixton and Belsize Park, late at night really is no joke.

The one possible exception to what I've said might be Islington: there are a couple of chain hotels at the southern end of the main drag, and a huge strip of very lively 20-something oriented pubs and restaurants running north from there. But almost all of that closes at 11, and there's limited club life in that part of town.

You'll find, though, that many London pubs and clubs won't be operating on Christmas Eve and virtually none will be open Christmas night: most will re-open Boxing Day. If pubbing and clubbing really is central to your life, London absolutely is not the place to be over Christmas.

Rather than fret over the location, you're more likely to meet kindred spirits if you fret over the hotel itself. Go to the UK section ofthe Thorn Tree site (they're not all smelly-socked backpackers)to get suggestions for hotels unlikely to have been colonised by old farts like me - as well as more specific recs on clubs.

jkandel03 Nov 16th, 2004 06:35 AM

Thank you, everybody. I already have my plane tickets, so can't change destination now! I will be in Amsterdam for New Years and I am sure I will get my fair share of clubbing and pubs there. Is there anything to do on Xmas Eve and Xmas day at all? Please post some suggesations as I am starting to be afraid that this trip is not going to be as great as I had hoped!

aj Nov 16th, 2004 07:08 AM

We like the Covent Garden area and so do my 20 Something children. Check out www.coventgardenlife.com. They will give you a great idea of what is happening in the are all year round and any Christmas/winter special events. Have a wonderful trip!