Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tween Friendly Movies/books based in Rome, Florence or Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tween-friendly-movies-books-based-in-rome-florence-or-venice-979528/)

travelmamana May 28th, 2013 07:50 PM

Tween Friendly Movies/books based in Rome, Florence or Venice

Family friendly movie/book suggestions for tweens to watch before our trip?

tuscanlifeedit May 28th, 2013 07:59 PM

The very great movie A Little Romance. It's one of my favorites.

I think Roman Holiday would be appropriate for tweens.

caze17 May 28th, 2013 08:47 PM

I can't believe that I'm even suggesting this, but there is an awful Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen direct-to-video movie called "When in Rome." But depending on your kids, they might think it was fun to see some sights in Rome with young girls starring.

I'm now hanging my head in shame.

julia_t May 28th, 2013 09:57 PM

The Thief Lord for Venice, based on the delightful book by Cornelia Funke.

Mary-Kate & Ashley in Paris (lol caze17!) Though they are more mid-teens in this film.

travelmamana May 29th, 2013 06:16 PM

Lol Caze17!! I hang my head in shame that it is exactly the kind of movie they will go for. Thanks for the suggestions all! I need as many as I can get!

ShellD May 29th, 2013 07:03 PM

We've watched quite a few movies to familiarize my kids with some of the places we'll be visiting. My daughter is 11 and my son is turning 14. My daughter was much more interested in most of the movies, but my son watched a few of the more "action" based ones...

The ones I can remember are: Angels and Demons, Only You, Under the Tuscan Sun, TheTourist, Roman Holiday, The Agony and the Esctasy, a documentary on Pompeii, My Life in Ruins (we'll be in Athens-we're going on a cruise as well as spending time in Italy after), and my son and I watched Gladiator - but I wouldn't exactly say that's tween appropriate since it's rated R. Oh, we also saw Letters To Julliette.

I think it's been a great idea for them, especially my daughter to see some of the area we'll be visiting. And we've enjoyed our "International Movie Night"!

mama_mia May 30th, 2013 04:26 AM

I was going to name some of the same movies that ShellD suggested, but I was unsure of what you considered "family friendly" (everyone has different standards).

If you want more information on the content of these movies to judge for yourself, IMDb (the movie database at IMDb.com) has a feature called "Parents Guide: View Content Advisory." You can look up a movie and find what people have posted regarding the content of the movie. Contributions are supposed to be fact based, not opinions, so the review might mention a specific scene. (For example, for "Gladiator" one comment says that "The villain says that the hero's wife 'moaned like a whore when (his men) ....'"

Pepper_von_snoot May 30th, 2013 06:11 AM

The Wings of the Dove by Henry James

Where Angels Fear to Tread by EM Forster

Room with a View by EM Forster

Movie versions available starring, of course, Helena Bonham Carter.

Thin

Delaine May 30th, 2013 09:34 AM

In addition to those already mentioned, I really like Three Coins in the Fountain (Rome)and Summertime (with Katharine Hepburn, set in Venice).

Snowflake25 May 30th, 2013 01:05 PM

Bookmarking

travelmamana May 31st, 2013 03:54 PM

Thanks all! Now that school is over, let the movie watching begin!

ga9497 Jun 2nd, 2013 01:57 PM

I haven't watched the movies but I believe I read that the twilight saga was filmed, some parts, in southern Tuscany

cferrb Jun 2nd, 2013 03:20 PM

There is also a Hillary Duff movie that takes place in Rome.

travelmamana Jun 4th, 2013 02:53 PM

Cferrb - That would be the Lizzie Maguire movie, thanks, I've added to the list.
ga9497- good to know, I believe my daughter has read the series but we have not watched on film.