Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tweaking my itinerary for the fall..also help needed with Luton airport hotels..

Search

Tweaking my itinerary for the fall..also help needed with Luton airport hotels..

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my latest:

Arrive London, spend night (May spend 2 nights, but I've been to London many times, it just depends on my schedule)
Saturday drive to Somerset with friends, spend two nights there (we're staying at this resort type place to see a specific concert)

On Monday, drive back to London. Now, here's my dilemna. I'm catching the 6:25am flight out of Luton to Istanbul the very next morning. The only airport that appears to be actually AT the airport is the Holiday Inn, and it's a little over $200 a night. Or I could stay IN London for the night (see friends, theatre, etc.) and then hire a car to take me the airport the next morning. My B&B is $100 a night, and I think I took a car to Luton once before and it was around that price. That's better, right? The only plus to staying at Luton would be extra sleep in the morning, but I don't really mind that too much..I'll sleep with I'm dead! Anyone reccomend a car service? I think I used Ray's once before..budget is a factor on this trip.

Anyway, next morning, Istanbul for three nights, then fly to Milan and immediately take the train to Florence where I will spend two nights (yeah, I'm going to get yelled out for that-honestly, I don't have much interest in Florence, but friends have talked me into going, saying at least a short amount of time is worth it), and then train to Naples where I will spend three nights.

Next, train to Civitivecchia to get the overnight ferry to Barcelona, where I will spend four (possibly five) nights.

Am staying in hostels the whole time, except for in the UK. I found high-rated hostels with female only dorm rooms in each city, except for in Barcelona,where I couldn't find one with female only rooms that had good reviews, so I'm staying in a mixed room. I'm sure I'll survive. I've only spent one night in a hostel in my life, and it wasn't such a great experience (of course, it was also in Amserdam in the red light district, so..). BUT, I want to go, and that is the only way I'll be able to afford it at this time.

Anyone feel like throwing any tips at me, feel free. 22 year old female, travelling solo. First time in Turkey and in Spain, have been to Italy and the UK many times.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
should be able to find a premiertravelinn close to Luton airport at £55~ a night plus say £6 breakfast. Try web site .co.uk
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa, scratch that. It just occurred to me that instead of wasting time and money on the ferry, I can just fly out of Naples..some good budget options into Barcelona.

So that gives me one extra night. Would I be better off spending it in Barcelona or in Naples? I would really be interested in taking a day trip from Naples into another Southern Italy city (since that is my background), so I'm leaning more towards that..
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Naples and vesuvius and capri all sound great but I still think Barcelona is nicer place to visit.

Not every one agrees with me but I think of Naples as Damascus but without the air of prosperity while Barcelona is a vibrant modern city in a country which is growing like crazy
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the Luton airport travel Inn runn £65 on weeknights (£54 on weekends) so even it is not cheap. But I'd rather stay there than take a car service that will cost as much if not more.

As for the rest of your questions - maybe you should start a new thread. W/ Luton in your title, folks who know Turkey/Barcelona/Naples etc. may not notice your thread.