Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TWA 767 or Continental 777 on an overseas flight??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/twa-767-or-continental-777-on-an-overseas-flight-54252/)

Judy Oct 4th, 1999 06:04 AM

TWA 767 or Continental 777 on an overseas flight???

I'm trying to choose between a TWA 767 and a Continental 777 flight (economy class) overseas. Would welcome suggestions from anyone who has flown economy in either of these airlines/airplanes recently. Thanks---

Brian in Atlanta Oct 4th, 1999 06:15 AM

I've flown on a Delta 777 and economy is equiped with individual video units on the seatbacks. I would check with Continental's website to see if they have these on their 777's. I'd also probably choose Continental over TWA anyway.

Paul J Oct 4th, 1999 07:00 AM

Hi Judy: We've flown economy both American 767 and United 777 to Europe. They're similar except that 777 has the individual video screen for each seat, as mentioned by Brian. It's a plus. Both are quite comfortable for economy. With price and schedule the same I'd opt for the 777 but both are good planes....Paul J <BR>

Carol Oct 4th, 1999 07:32 AM

Judy: <BR> <BR>Flew Continental to London in May - <BR> <BR>Two votes for Continental 777 from my husband and myself. One of the best flights we've had - comfortable, good food (!!!) and the videos behind each seat make for a quicker flight. <BR> <BR>Good luck!! <BR>Carol <BR>

Scott K Oct 4th, 1999 07:33 AM

777 have the 2nd biggest economy class seats next too the DC-10 acording to the Boeing web site. Also, I am a life time Continental customer and would highly recommend them. See also the "TWA 1st and last time" string in this section.

Frank Oct 4th, 1999 07:33 AM

A contrary opinion regarding the individual seat videos. On a turbulent flight it can easily cause air sickness since the monitor is all of about 10 inches from your face. Additionally, if the person in the seat in front of you reclines back, the video is at an angle facing the floor. So what seems like a good idea, might not work out as well as some might hope.

karen Oct 4th, 1999 09:06 AM

We are real fans of British Airways' 777 and have flown it several times in economy.

nj Oct 4th, 1999 11:21 AM

Correctamundo are the 777 proponents. <BR>Interesting Chicago Tribune article this spring analyzing best planes for comfort. The 777 is the choice for seat width and has the highest ceilings/widest aisles of all planes. <BR>Seating is 2-5-2, though. <BR>767's are 2-3-2, cutting down to a bare minimum your chances of being stuck in a middle seat, but the seats and legroom are inferior to the 777. Avoid 747's. <BR>BTW, I've flown all the majors many times and I can't ever recall a bad experience on TWA. Personally, I think it's very hit and miss. There's no perfect American carrier...tho Midwest Express comes pretty darned close.

hector Oct 4th, 1999 02:00 PM

Actually, the configuration on the Continental 777 is: 3-3-3 so you never feel claustophobic. The 777 has more overhead space than the 767. I endorse Continental all the way! Its no coincidence that they've one the J.D. Power and Associates long haul catagory 3 of the last 4 years!

Erin Oct 5th, 1999 05:29 AM

Go with the Continental 777. Always a better choice over "Teenie Weenie Airways" (TWA).

francesca Oct 5th, 1999 09:37 AM

NB: I don't think all 777s have the individual video. I flew United once where the aircraft had it, and once where it didn't.

ben Oct 5th, 1999 11:29 AM

definitely continental. <BR>they have a much better service reputation.