Tuscany-which town to stay in??

Sep 25th, 2006, 06:43 AM
mvs
Original Poster

Tuscany-which town to stay in??

Me and my wife will be staying in Florence at the end of March for a business/pleasure trip. After that, I want to take her to one of the beautiful towns in Tuscany for the two of us to relax, possibly do some wine tasting. It would nice to be in a town that had plenty of restaurants, cafes to people watch but also be central enough to take a day trip or two to wine taste, have lunch, etc. Siena and San Gimiganano seem to be mentioned quite a bit on these boards. Any recommendations would be gretaly appreciated.
Sep 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Hi mvs, I would recommend Pienza, not that I have stayed anywhere else, but, if you have a car, I would suggest staying at Le Cretaiole. Such a pretty place and the owners really look after you. They recommend many places to wine taste and arrange special outings for groups.We had such a good time there and the price to stay is reasonable. Pienza on the weekends was full with tourists. It is small, but it has some lovely restaurants.
Sep 25th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Suggestions:

1- Stay in Siena, rent a car and explore the region (suggest spending a day on the montalcino area for some fine wine tasting - however, some properties require that you book in advance) and spend some relaxing time in the Fortezza ( a fort that has a very fine restaurant/bar inside )

2- Stay in an Agroturismo - these are some properties, usually very large houses, with fantastic rooms, inside a vineyard. I came back from Tuscany 3 months ago, and I promised myself that next time I will stay in an Agroturismo - they are way nicer and more charming than any hotel you will ever find and you can easily drive to the "city" from them. If you "google" Tuscany, Agroturismo, I'm sure you will see a lot of options - I visited one called La Papesa (or Papessa) and I thought it looked great.

Hope this helps!

J.

Search this Thread