Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscany vs. Umbria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscany-vs-umbria-726272/)

dina4 Aug 4th, 2007 07:29 AM

Tuscany vs. Umbria

Wondering if anyone could compare the scenery, food, villages, etc.

We have been to Tuscany twice (val d'orcia and chianti areas) and can't seem to get enough.

Should we venture into Umbria instead??
(Have only been to Orvieto in Umbria)

Don't have time to really do both.

Thanks!!
dina

bobthenavigator Aug 4th, 2007 07:47 AM

It is hard to beat south Tuscany. See Orvieto and perhaps a day trip to Assisi from Tuscany.

dina4 Aug 4th, 2007 08:21 AM

I agree. But thought someone might convince me otherwise.

Mimar Aug 4th, 2007 08:52 AM

I like both Umbria and Tuscany. Umbria a little greener, a little slower and more agricultural. And villas are cheaper!

There are a number of nice towns in Umbria: Assisi and Perugia, Spello and Spoleto, Todi, Gubbio, etc. in addition to Orvieto, which is unique. (I really liked Bevagna but don't want to tell anyone for fear of it getting spoiled.)

And there are truffles and majolica pottery.

All that said, I adore the landscape of Tuscany and prefer it to Umbria.

You could hedge your bets and stay in eastern Tuscany/western Umbria.

iris1745 Aug 4th, 2007 09:05 AM

Having just returned from Tuscany and Umbria, I suggest you stay in Umbria. The Villa Zuccari is wonderfull. [keypunch into the 'yahoo' web site and it will bring up their web site along with 'tripadvisor' information. The location is perfect for visiting both Umbria and southern Tuscany. The scenery in Umbria is as good as anywhere in Tuscany, with hill town after hill town appearing. If this appeals to you, I would be happy to send you our daily trip info. The drawback to this villa is it is ten minutes to the town of Montefalco, where there is some very nice dining. Best Dick

simpsonc510 Aug 4th, 2007 09:50 AM

Palazzo Consoli is a wonderful small B & B in the old hilltop town of Monteleone. You must have a car to get around, but it is really delightful! I've posted a number of photos of the Palazzo on my web site at cjscollection dot com. If you select the photo gallery link on the left side of the page, and then select the EUROPE album, you will find photos #24-29, which show you our suite!!

dina4 Aug 4th, 2007 12:37 PM

Mimar,
thanks for letting me know which towns you really like. not a bad idea to stay in a location central to both.

Iris,
the Villa Zuccari looks really nice.
did you happen to stay in the cottage apt or in a room?
I'd love to see your daily trip info.
I assume it was 10 min driving, not walking, to Montefalco?

Simpson,
the Pallazo Consoli looks lovely in your photos, but we really want something with a pool.

Thanks to all!

CRAZY4TRAVEL Aug 5th, 2007 01:07 PM

On our last trip to Italy, we split our time between Tuscany and Umbria. Although we loved Umbria, we enjoyed the food and wine more in Tuscany.

There is some lovely countryside in Umbria but it's hard for me to compare it to the Val d'Orcia region which I fell head over heals for.

We loved Orvieto, Spello and Assisi. We would certainly consider giving southern Umbria some extra attention on a future vacation. I guess the area around Pitigliano, Sovana and Sorano is quite compelling.

iris1745 Aug 6th, 2007 11:20 AM

Hi; If you don't mind sending your e-mail, I would send our daily itinerary for Umbria. We stayed in the cottage. Had eight people and it worked out great. But the main villa is wonderfull and air conditioned. Montefalco is ten minutes away by car and is a lovely little hill town with good dining. Then there are other small medival towns close by. Our longest trip, one way was to Orvieto, that took an hour. But if you visit Orvieto, you must visit Civita di Bagnoregio. Any town you want to visit, keypunch that town into 'yahoo' and then go to 'wikipedia'. You will be pleasently suprised with all the information. Best Dick

Dayle Aug 6th, 2007 12:15 PM

Hi Dina,

Looking for your trip report for Vancouver/Tofino! How was it? Ours was great!

msdotliz Aug 6th, 2007 12:22 PM

Had the best risotto in Spoleto! They stirred it in a huge wheel of Parmesean!!

tcreath Aug 6th, 2007 12:33 PM

We've spent time in both Umbria and Tuscany, and I agree with CRAZY4TRAVEL. While we really enjoyed Umbria and had a fantastic time, we enjoyed the Val d'Orcia region more. It was just more scenic and the towns lovely.

With that being said, we greatly enjoyed Umbria. The terrain is different than Tuscany, but still very nice. We stayed in a lovely agriturismo just outside of Bevagna (le Case Gialle) and from here we visited Bevagne, Spello, Assisi, Todi, Trevi, Deruta, Orvieto and the Val d'Orcia. My favorites were Bevagne, Spello and Trevi. The food is fantastic.

Tracy

dina4 Aug 6th, 2007 08:11 PM

thanks so much for all your great advice, everyone.

I think at this point i'm leaning towards sticking with tuscany and plan to possibly do a longer day trip into Umbria.

i'll keep researching....
thanks again!

dina4 Aug 6th, 2007 08:14 PM

dayle, yes we're back! and i'm already planning for italy next summer!

We had a great time. funny, i don't know why it's so hard to find my trip report. I searched and searched, but ended up googling "family fun in tofino" and it came up right away. the same search on this forum would not recover it!

anyways, here's a direct link:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35037058

how was your trip?! did you do a report yet?