Notices

Tuscany Villa Rental

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Gratefulfood

Tuscany Villa Rental

Who is the best rental company to deal with in that region? Any great villa suggestions for 6 adults? Thanks.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Cristina

Head on over to http://www.slowtrav.com and check out their reviews of properties and agencies. Also their forum is wonderful.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Sue

Here are some previous threads with good info to get you started:

www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1371846

www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1363270

www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1358090

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Joe

Go to tuscanynow.com and you will find tons of pictures and descriptions of villas in every area, price range and configuration you can imagine. We used them in 2000 and they were very helpful and accomodating particularly with respect to the extras we wanted.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Wayne

Also try www.theparkercompany.com and www.parkervillas.com. These sites always have lots of good offerings.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Leslie

I hear good things about www.rentvillas.com. They are a California based company with lots of properties in Italy. Very helpful staff.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:26 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

There are many good agencies and hundreds of rental properties. To keep from going crazy, start with www.slowtrav.com and pay attention to their advise on setting criteria. My advise is to not look at a single rental option until you have decided on these qualifiers:
Location [ which of 5 Tuscan regions]
price range ?
location ?
bed to bath ratio ?
Standalone house or rustic apts.?
location ?
That will let you narrow your options to only a dozen or so. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Rex

I can also advise

www.domani-usa.com

and

www.regencyintapts.com

Used www.rentvillas.com last fall - - no better, no worse, though I did not like their initial deposit policy (immediately non-refundable).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:26 PM
black cloud

Be sure to check it out before you jump. We got a bad deal--looked good in the pics on the web site.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:24 PM
rich

We leave in two weeks for a villa in Lucca through Tuscany Now. They have been great to work with, very knowledgeable and very helpful. All of their villas have pools and are reasonably priced. Who knows, the place we stay at may be a dive, but the pictures sure look nice, and Lucca seems like the ideal place to be!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Roberta

Can't say enough good things about Initaly.com! Booked through them this spring and plan to do so in 2003.
Their web site is exceptionally comprehensive.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:59 AM
butnot

re. Initaly.com...I was going to book with them but found the EXACT same property through Tuscanynet.com for much cheaper. You deal directly with the owner where Initaly you have to pay them as the middleman. Check out Initaly's site and then see if the same place is on Tuscanynet's site and compare prices!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Joe

Rich: Is the Lucca Villa you are renting through Tuscany Now by any chance I Limoni? If it is, you are in for a treat. Wonderful 16th century building. Original Freschi everywhere. Fantastic view of Lucca lights below at night. Great memories.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Amanda

You will find the same properties listed multiple times at drastically different prices. One we're renting in Tuscany next summer was listed at one location for $2600 per week, it's $1400 in another location. Another we're renting in Positano was $2800 for a week with one vendor, $2200 for 10 days with another. Once you find a villa that you like, search by the name of the house name. You'll also find that different vendors provide different levels of information and pictures so it's also helpful to see these different sites for this reason. good luck . . .

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Julie

My fiance and I booked with Tuscany.net through the suggestion of a friend. They seem really helpful - we are going in October.I also found places for Florence under Florence.net Check it out!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Joe

Richard: Posting answers to your questions here too, so others might benefit.
Lucca is charming, especially at night. It is a walled village and you can/should walk the wall tops around the city. This is best done in the morning or late afternoon, not when the sun is straight above. Great views and glimpses into local life. The duomo on the Piazza del Duomo is worth a visit, especially for the varied columns. The Volto Santo or Holy Face is an 8th century Byzantine treasure. Go to the top of the Palazzo Guinigi for the splended views.
Go for the scooters as your villa is probably straight up from Lucca. If you consider who originally built these villas, they were looking for and could afford comfort. Consequently, they went up on the hillsides to catch any breeze. It was amazing at I Limoni, no air conditioning (of course), but walls so thick that it was perfectly comfortable inside any time of day. I am sure you will find the same. You will never have seen so many stars as you will from the hillsides above Lucca and the lights of the city at night were spectacular.
We took day trips to Garafagna; beautiful rolling hills and lakes and streams, three great villages the best of which was Barga. Castelnuovo di Garafagna, a 12th century fortress, is not to be missed.
Check for the local markets in and around Lucca. We really enjoyed buying the ingredients for wonderful Italian dinners cooked in the ancient kitchen that had been updated with modern conveniences, but had the original walls, floors and ceiling.
Our favorite restaurant was da Leo recommended to us by locals; small (there are three outside tables, so reservations are essential), unpretentious and great food. Avoid da Gigio at all cost; brusque waiters, inferior food, not a pleasant experience.
We also took a day trip to Florence (two of my daughters had not been there). Easy access via freeway all the way. Took 45 minutes. Park near the train station on the way in and walk the rest of the way. Fun day.
There are at least four shopping areas outside of the Lucca walls in areas where local Italians live. Wander at least one of these to see real shops, cafes, services, etc., that cater to the locals. Few tourists. Great delis and wine shops as well as produce, meats, sausages, hardware stores, etc. The area we went to was on the southeastern side. Bought wine and mushrooms to bring home.
Took a day trip to Chianti as well. Couple of wineries, great dinner, beautiful ride, great day. We traveled every other day and enjoyed the villa with pool in between. We were amazed at the lack of mosquitos, but we had none, even sitting out on the veranda late into the night.
I'd go again in a minute. Have a great time.