Short drives out of the city

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 05:53 AM
kay

Short drives out of the city

We will be visiting London, Paris, and Amsterdam soon and plan to rent a car. Does anyone have suggestions on short drives out of the city - nice scenery, an out-of-the way cafe, local folks, etc? Thanks.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Hilary

I don't know if this quite fits the bill, but I live near Richmond upon Thames which is a very attractive outer-London town on the river. No time to write more now, sorry.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 06:33 PM
wes fowler

Kay,
Your question prompts some you may not have thought about. Are you planning to keep a car the entire duration of your trip? All three cities are problematic when it comes to traffic and parking. Are you planning to drive your British auto, with its different steering setup, on the continent? Driving in Paris is difficult at best, moreso if you're shifting with your left hand and steering from an unfamiliar position in the car. Will you be renting a car in one country and dropping it off in another? Drop off charges can significantly escalate rental costs. Have you considered public transportation in lieu of an auto? Each city has superb transportation networks into the suburbs and outlying areas. Give us some more specifics regarding your plans, duration of your stays in each city, time allocated for travel outside of the cities, interests in art or history, architecture or scenery.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 02:43 PM
kay

Wes, thanks for asking specifics. We plan to rent a car for 1-2 days in each of the cities (but have to return to the same city hotel each night) and return the car in that same city before moving on. We will use public transportation but also like to be loners. In England, I'd like to head towards Framlingham where my Dad was stationed and maybe there is something else in the area? No particular area in France. In Amsterdam, would like to head toward Freisland (Leeuwarden & Makkum)where my brother had done some traveling but I don't have good directions. Mostly interested in scenery and local, but safe, eateries. Thanks for suggestions.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 09:00 AM
kam

While in Paris I would head out to the Monet gardens in Giverny, an easy drive, or down to Versailles. You can get to Epernay in Champagne, but be aware that many cellars require reservations to tour/taste. Some of the big ones do not, and there's plenty to do for a day trip. In London, you can go to Oxford and Blenheim Palace, out to Hampton Court and Windsor, or even all the way to Bath in one day. Going in the other direction you can get down to Canterbury as well.I wouldn't worry about driving in England, I only find London itself difficult. Sorry, Amsterdam is more difficult for me, but I do remember Delft was interesting and there was an area on the dikes that we enjoyed.