Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany / Umbria - day trips or travel around?

Mar 30th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Paula

I have a week in Tuscany / Umbria in May. I am hiring a car and have been offered a package (agriturismo) to stay in one place bordering Tuscany and Umbria - the plan being to take day trips out each day and return to the hotel. Would you recommend this or would you plan a round trip, staying at different place each night - and if so, any suggestions? Thanks!
Paula

Mar 30th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Paula
Both having one base or a few bases work well in Umbria - both have their advantages.
It is important where the agriturismo place is - if it is remote and a good distance from the main road complex here then driving up and down the same road every day to get somewhere can be a pain in the neck.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:19 AM
paula

Hi Helen

The 2 places suggested are near Chiusi - I think within 10kms. Thanks Paula

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Wayne

Paula---
Perhaps I'm not the ordinary traveler, but I enjoy going from place to place and checking into different hotels, staying in different villages, and meeting or seeing the folks who operate or stay in each of the different hotels. That's especially true in Tuscany and Umbria where there are so many nice little villages to visit. If this were my trip, I would design an itinerary that would have me stopping alternately 2 nights, then 1 night, then 2 nights, then 1 night, and so on, and pick routes that allow me to stop along the way in other villages for a lunch, an afternoon refreshment, a picnic, and similar activity. If you are driving, you can do all that and enjoy the flexibility of going where and when you want. I would endorse the comment of Helen Donegan regarding the possible problem of going over the same route to and from one spot, especially if that spot is somewhat remote and there is some distance to a connecting road. I've always found that the new sights and places when driving from spot to spot make it worth the loading and unloading; and the 1 day/2 day plan allows me a bit of time at every other overnight point. However, for the sake of cost you might want to weigh my proposal against the alternative of staying in one place. If you have a one-week package deal, you probably have a better rate than you can get by staying in different places at daily rates for 6 or 7 days. But that's something only you can decide. Good luck.

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Dayle

Hi Paula!

We stayed in the same loc in Chianti for 4 nts on our last trip, doing day trips from there. Personally, I got tired of all the backtracking & felt like it wasn't the best used of time. Also, the roads in Chianti are quite windy so it took longer than we thought.

If I were to do it again, I would stay in 1 location further south or west in Tuscany (where it's less mountainous) with better access to main roads. Then you could take the fast drive one way & the slow drive (for the scenery)returning & have the best of both worlds!

Or, I would plan my trip as Wayne suggested above. I travel light & checking in/out in the countryside is no big deal. You don't have to bother with finding the place, parking, etc.

We used Orvieto as a 3 day base in Umbria & it was must better! From there we did day trips to Civita di Bagnoreggio, Deruta & Todi.

Buon viaggio!

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:37 AM
paula

thanks for the replies - I think I'm going to stay at different places and see what happens! We did that in Portugal and Spain last year and we only had one night where we were disappointed with the hotel. anyone else have a different view? Paula

Mar 30th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Helen Donegan

Paula I live in Perugia - if you need any further detailed info just let me know - here or privately, it is the same thing.