Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Tuscany tour and on to Venice the same night?

Tuscany tour and on to Venice the same night?

Nov 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Tuscany tour and on to Venice the same night?

I am planning some details now for my trip with my parents and daughter in April. This forum has been very helpful.

I am booking Luca for a day tour of Florence.

I have my choice of Sunday or Tuesday (he's booked on Monday.) If we go on Sunday, it will probably be quieter in Tuscany, more shops closed in the smaller towns. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Have any of you been on a Sunday? If we go on Tuesday, we would leave at 9:30am and take our luggage with us, then get dropped off at the Florence train station to catch the 6:39 pm train to Venice. It arrives at 9:30. We would splurge to take the water taxi because our hotel has a dock and I want it to be easy that night.

In some ways Tuesday seems easier because it avoids another haul with our luggage to the train station. I also think it seems like an efficient use of time.

I would just like to know from the experienced travelers if that trek to Venice from Florence is too much to plan on after the all day tour. Also do you think Sunday is a good or bad day for Tuscany.

Nov 16th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Sunday is a great day for touring the Tuscany countryside, and a bad day for visiting the cities. Most stores will be closed, and they often pull down louvered aluminum shutters over their pretty storefront windows - so you can't even window shop. Lucca is probably the worst offender. Many years ago these aluminum shutters were covered with grafiti - an ugly sight.

Also, in Florence some museums are closed Sunday or have shortened hours. When we were there last year, some stores advertised that they were closed on a Sunday - so I assume being open is the exception - it is in most other cities in Italy & France - except the ones that rely entirely on tourism (San G & Pienza).

San Gimignano will have most of their stores open. You could visit the Medici & other villas around Lucca & Florence on Sunday.

Stu Dudley

Nov 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM

I also used Luca of hillsandroads on a Sunday. One stop was Montalcino, and I was surprised to see most shops open. I guess it depends on just where you're going. Also, I can relate to the idea that if you go on Tues, you are ending up at the train station without having to haul your luggage from your hotel. I agree, that is something to consider.
Nov 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM
dcd

You won't regret hiring Luca. I'm sure he'd be happy to address your concerns via email. Please tell him "hi" from Dave and Joyce in St. Louis.

Dave
Nov 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. Luca doesn't think there will be a problem going straight to the train station at 6:15pm for a 6:40 train. I just finished reading Mr. Green's report about the train from Florence to Venice and I am hoping we have an easier time of it.

I am a little nervous about arriving late in Venice. I hope it is not confusing and I can get the water taxi easily at that hour.

Thanks for the responses regarding the towns on Sunday.
Nov 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I don't think you'll have any problems touring Tuscany/Florence and taking the train, getting to Venice after 9pm. We were just in Venice 2 weeks ago and around that time (after dinner hours) there are TONS of people on the water buses, mostly going TO the train station or bus terminal.
So anyways, you'll have space on the waterbus. How far away is your hotel from the bus stop? People lug their luggage around all the time. Are you traveling with older travelers or kids?
Nov 17th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

My parents are 70 and 72, daughter is 14.
Which bus stop do you mean- Florence or
Venice? We are close to SMN train station in Florence - really just around the corner at the Adler Cavalieri. I know we could walk there easily enough.

In Venice we are at the Hotel Ala, which is at the Giglio stop and has a water taxi stop right in front of the hotel.

I thought that going on the day trip then on to Venice sounded like an
efficient use of time. I just don't want to overdo it and exhaust my parents. I feel better knowing that Venice is alive at that hour and there were tons of people around when you were there.

Nov 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I meant water-bus stop. If the water taxi stops right in front of the hotel then that's a good choice; but if the water-bus also stops in front of your hotel then I would just take that. It won't take too long and you'll save some money. The water bus stop is right at the front door of the train station in Venice.
Your family will enjoy it! It takes a long time to plan things out but I'm sure your Parents will appreciate all the efforts that you put in. Have fun! I had Luca for a day tour in Tuscany. He's a good guide.
Nov 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sammy.
The water bus stop is a 1 minute walk up an alley away from the hotel. Doesn't sound too bad.

Search this Thread