Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany reservations needed for late June/early July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to rent a car from Florence June 28 and drive around Tuscany, maybe hit Umbria, for 6 days. Would love not having preset reservations but fear with high season of summer we might get stuck with no place to sleep! Any recs or experience in this region this time of year? Thank you!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM

You might find places to stay, but they won't necessarily be your first choice and you'll spend precious time looking for them. You are likely to end up either spending more than you want, or staying in a place that is not as nice as you'd like.<BR><BR>My recommendation would be to stay in one place (booked in advance) for that week and do day trips. If you pick somewhere around Siena or just a bit south/southeast of Siena, you should find all of central Tuscany and a good part of Umbria within striking distance. You can find very charming country stays (agritourismo) for far less than city hotels. I've done this twice and personally I consider it the ideal way to see the area.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:50 AM

You will need reservations that time of year. You may want to rent an apt. in one location, or perhaps stay in small hotels at 2 locations. Did you ever get your trip tik done? I never heard back from you after my offer.I would consider 3 nites each at:<BR>www.palazzodelcapitano.com<BR>www.malvarina.it
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:32 PM

Hi - we are going to be doing the same thing in July. I found great apartments (agritourismo) with www.initaly.com and www.seaview.it. They usually like you to stay from a Saturday to Saturday. Our apartment is near Asciano which is south-east of Sienna. Good luck and enjoy!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. Bob, is trip tik my final itinerary? We are still figuring out Tuscany but will be staying near Buonconvento S of Siena (confirmation in process) for a few days. I'll check out the 2 sites you suggested. I've been researching slowtrav also.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:41 PM

e roz, that should be a good location for your purposes. I'm not crazy about the town of Buonconvento itself, but the countryside around there is beautiful and lots of wonderful towns to explore: Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, Pienza, Montepulciano in one direction, and Colle di Val D'Elsa, Monterrigioni, San Gimignano, and Volterra in another. And that's just in Tuscany.