Search

Opinion on 4th arrondissment apartment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion on 4th arrondissment apartment

http://www.vrbo.com/111715

I would love everyone's feedback on this apartment as a place for us to stay for nine days in Paris. I thought I would start a new thread just for this apartment hunt as I want to get one booked fairly quickly. Important things for me are, able to sleep 5 even if tight for 3 of the nine nights, the rest of the time just 3 of us so I am going to splurge and have 2 bedrooms so we all have some privacy. We want to be able to walk to many of the prime tourist type things to see, we need good train station availability. I know we have to get up early one morning and take the train to Avignon from Gare de Lyon and that I believe is close to here. We still have to figure out other side trips we might like to do, maybe to Chartres. We want to be able to walk to some markets for baked goods and fruits and veggies, one reason we are getting a kitchen. We are going to do the night Fat Tire Bike tour which I think meets at the Eiffel Tower. That is about what I know so far.

Ok have at me!
Cindy
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Your subject heading sounds as if you want responses to a particular apartment or apartments.

Your message seems to seek recommendations for apartments with specific characteristics, some of which are pretty much impossible. For example, you would have to be pretty serious walkers to get to many of the tourist sites by foot from much of the 4th. A more important question is how close would a place be to a metro or bus line.

The biggest question is how much can you afford to spend. The second is your age and physical condition. A fifth floor walk up apartment (US 6th floor) is going to require plenty of stamina to get yourselves, your luggage, and your food supplies up there.

You have the right idea, but we could use more detail.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Not sure why you say you want to walk to all of the sites, because it would be one long slog to get from the 4th to, say, the Eiffel tower..or Montmartre.

The Metro and bus system is so good and cheap, I don't see why you would not take the metro to an area, tour around, then metro home.

The 4th would be good for many walks (Place des Vosges, the Islands,etc..) but to walk everywhere...

I've stayed central as well as less so. Both have advantages, but a Metro/RER is always in my plan. Paris is a walking city, but sometimes...And with many people, are they all willing to walk long distances?

As for train stations (I assume you mean inter-city) no need to stay near station since connection via public transit are so good.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM

My main concerns would be the 4th floor (5th elevation) and the fact the loft is accessed through one of the bedrooms via a ladder. But, if you're fit and don't require privacy, these are non issues. Sounds as if the loft will only be used part of the time.

I think the street's location is in a very interesting area but there isn't a metro stop just outside the door so that may or may not be a concern. Two are fairly close. You can get anywhere in Paris easily by public transport but depends on how easy you want it. I would recommend buying a really good map of Paris so you have an idea of distances to sites, stations, etc., before you commit.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM

Cindy -

The apartment looks fantastic. Great location - I lived right around the corner for a number of years. You can walk to many of the central sites quite easily and there are metro and bus lines all over the place. Plus it is a short walk to a metro line which will take you straight to the Gare de Lyon, so that's good. Personally, can't see a thing wrong with it.

-Kevin
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
IMHO,for the price of that apartment I think it's great, provided you're willing to all of thos stairs. The first apt. we ever rented in Paris was 67 steps up and it got very old fast.

But if you're OK with that, I think the location is good. I think yoy can walk to many of the places you will want to see, but maybe not the Eiffel---a bit far. We've done it from Ile St. Louis, where we usually stay, and it was quite a hike.

We have rented from VRBO in many places in the world and have had good luck.

I do agree with Ackislander that you could do better, but it would probably cost you alot more.

You mentioned going to Avignon----how many days? Are keeping your apt. in Paris or going at the end of your 9 days in Paris?
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Sorry, I missed the VRBO number when I first looked at your post. So you know the location (interesting) and that it is near transportation. The number of flights of stairs may or may not be an issue depending on your ages.

Good luck!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM

I agree - great apt, great location. As for the the stairs, well...

Without knowing your age or fitness, I would start by saying if you are over 50 or don't exercise regularly, then look for something lower or some place with an elevator.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM

I'm pretty fit but wouldn't rent a place like that. The apt looks pretty nice for the most part, sure. But being on the 4th floor without elevator means walking up four flights, I limit myself to 3 when I rent vacation apts. The problem is it isn't even regular stairs, to get to the apt you have to climb "enchanting" spiral stairs. No thanks. The worst part is that ladder which I think is like a barn and not something you would want in a "luxury" apt. If you never intended to use the loft, okay, but that is something the owner put it, I don't know the legality of those kind of things. But I wouldn't ever climb ladders to go to bed. Who are the lucky people who get to climb ladders and sleep over your head.

Location isn't too bad if you like the Marais. I don't, but would want an apt closer to a metro stop myself. I use the metro all the time.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Just noticed you want something close to Gare de Lyon. Not sure how you intend to get there, if you want a shorter taxi ride, yeah, I can see that to cut down on costs. But I don't think most poeple would want to walk from there with baggage all the way to the metro line that goes to Gare de Lyon. Depends how much luggage you have, of course, it's about five blocks, I guess to Hotel de Ville which is the closest metro stop.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM

The stairs would rule it out for me. I'm pretty fit and don't mind stairs, but at the end of say, 4 hours of walking around Paris, the thought of 4 flights of stairs on a spiral staircase would be the end of me!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM

...... for over thirty years I have used rental apartments in Paris but never ever stay above the first or second floor. And that is due to risk of fire. Only one way down from that apartment ..... no separate exit and that would seal it for me. I consider the Marais a wonderful area in which to stay. Hope you have a great holiday .....
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice, I feel like such a twit that I did not notice that the loft access was by ladder AND through a bedroom! I was so drawn in by the rest of the apartment that I totally missed that. And even though the loft use is only for a few days it is me that will be up there, and even though I am quite fit and a runner, I don't like the idea of climbing down the ladder in the night through my daughter and husband's bedroom to use the bathroom! And it would be good to have a few less stairs to climb it is true. I am going to get a really good street map of Paris - any suggestions? - right away, I need to get this apartment booked and I am having a hard time understanding the distance between things. We need to be at the Gare de Lyon train station early our first full day to head to Provence for 2 nites, and we will not have had much time to try to understand how to use the metro system to get there. Especially as we are arriving on Bastille day! So I guess I would like to get as close to it as possible.
More homework to do...
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Why not stay in a hotel near gare de lyon then start the apartment rental when you get back?

Or, if not all in the group are going to Avignon, book a taxi to get you to the station. Taxis bleues has an English-speaking service, 01 49 36 10 10 I think there are others.

Do you live near a Barnes and Noble, Borders or a speciality travel shop? Each should have a good choice of Paris street maps (plans) with metro stops superimposed. Do you have a friend who has been to Paris who can help you get familiar with the map?

You can also have a look www.parisbytrain.com