Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany-Locanda Dell Amarosa, Villa Bordoni or similiar?

Oct 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

1st trip to Italy and would like to fly into Rome and rent car to explore Tuscany.
We are into beautiful countrysides, good food and drink and all other tourist highlights.
Thinking about a May-June trip or Sept-October.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Oct 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM

How many days? If you don't intend to spend time in Rome, you might consider flying into Pisa or Florence.
Oct 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I am not familiar with either of the hotels you mention, but I would never plan a trip like this based on a particular hotel you may have heard about. They can be beautiful in themselves but in a truly gruesome semi-industrial area. Work out which towns you want to see, choose somewhere strategic as a base, and then look for a place to stay in.
Oct 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

i was looking for direct flight from JFK thats why I chose Rome.... also have grequent flyers with American. I am looking for a centrally located place to do everything... maybe 4 days here 4 days there?
Oct 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM

The Val d'Orcia is my favorite region in Tuscany - and sitting right in the middle of it is the wonderful la Saracina.

http://www.lasaracina.it/home.en.php

It's half way between Pienza & Montepulciano.

Locando dell Amarosa is also a nice property, but I think la Saracina is much better situated for visiting the wonderful Tuscany countryside & small villages.

Stu Dudley
Oct 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Delta has direct flights JFK/PSA.

Some places will rent only Sat.-Sat.
Oct 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I'm in agreement with Stu- Val d'Orcia is a beautiful area and also my favorite. Here is another suggestion for a great place to stay-

http://www.fontebertusi.it/eng/

I've visited in May and end of Sept/beginning of Oct. I like the last 2 weeks of May best. I would spend the entire 8 days in the area. There is plenty to see, eat, drink and experience stepping out of your apartment front door or within a 5 minute to 1 hour drive.
Oct 11th, 2009, 01:55 AM

Both those agriturismi look beautiful but the downside is that one of you cannot indulge much at all at dinnertime when you have to get back to a hotel in the countryside. I believe the Italian drink/drive limits are even more stringent than UK ones. I would stay in a town with a choice of restaurants within walking distance of your hotel.

As to time of year, I have just returned from a week in San Quirico and this is a wonderful time to visit - lovely weather and lots of porcini and tartufi dishes on menus. And the Rosso di Montalcino...
Oct 11th, 2009, 02:12 AM

tarquin - please share the details of your accommodation, thanks.
Oct 11th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Maudie, http://www.fewo-direkt.de/ferienwohn...enhaus/p515580 should find the site for you. It's in German but you can click for a translation.

The accommodation is called Il Giardino and is a garden level studio apartment owned by a young German couple who live above, the man appears to manage the Adler Thermae spa hotel in nearby Bagno Vignoni. We paid 70 euros a night and it suited us very well as I love markets and the very nice little kitchen gave us the opportunity to use our purchases. There is some noise in the mornings from the three small children, but overall this is a very peaceful spot in a quiet non-touristy town with several nice restaurants and foodshops. San Quirico is midway between Montalcino and Montepulciano so lots of easy expeditions are possible.
Oct 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM

The place tarquin rented was formerly owned by our closest friends. We've stayed in the upper unit several times. The lower studio where tarquin stayed was refurbished about 5 years ago by our friends. There is also a bedroom & bath on the lower level that is used by the owners. The studio is called Il Giardino because it looks out onto a lovely garden with herbs you can clip & use, picnic table, arbor, etc. The entrance to the property is through the gate in the back wall, which is the medieval wall surrounding the city. Just beyond the wall there is a path you can use to walk around the town. There are stairs a few paces away that will get you down to a large parking lot.

There are several restaurants in San Quirico - including a pizza place. There is also a good sized grocery just outside of the medieval section of town - within walking distance.

We've stayed there in March/April, June, July, & October. I think the prettiest season is March/April when all the hills are blanketed with green winter wheat - with a medieval village or 'dancing" cypress trees here & there.

Slight correction to tarquin's location description - it is mid-way between Montalcino & Pienza.

Stu Dudley
Oct 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Stu, I've never been accused of being a geographer.

Interesting that you know the place, your posted info on San Quirico influenced my choice of town to stay in. I didn't emphasize the garden at the flat because I am not sure how usable it would be for a renter, there is now an overlay of children's play equipment. But it was cool in the evenings anyway last week, so a problem didn't arise. The nearby free parking was a big asset. Do you know the Norwegian/English couple a few doors down?
Oct 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM

>>Do you know the Norwegian/English couple a few doors down?<<

Nope - but our friends do. I forwarded your posts to them -

Their reply:

We do know the couple he refers to. They are best friends with Anton & Ulli (couple who bought Bella Casa). I think they might have bought our place if Anton & Ulli hadn't.

Anton & Ulli are Austrian - not German.

Stu Dudley
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM

We attended a wedding at Locanda dell'Amorosa: it's a fabulous place. I guess it is very expensive, so we never stayed there. A place that (in my opinion) compares in terms of scenery (we had dinner there on our anniversary... so romantic!) is Pievanella http://www.pievanella.com
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Another vote for Locanda dell'Amorosa. It is a romantic, magical place with easy access to the Val D'Orcia, Valdichiana and Chianti areas. Another possibility would be Borgo San Felice (http://www.borgosanfelice.com/eng/index.php), near Siena. Bordoni is nice too, but these two a just a "touch" above it. Have a wonderful trip!
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM

We stayed at Borgo San Felice, and it was wonderful. There is a working winery on the property and an excellent restaurant, so this is a good spot for a food and wine hound. Very pretty upscale place.