Tuscany Daytrips, with teens in mind ?.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be doing a trip to Italy without another adult this time around (!)<BR>We will have a week out in the countryside near Siena and an auto.<BR>I have done searches here, <BR>and read my books,<BR>but, does anyone have anything that stands out as something which would also catch the interest of a 15 yr old boy and 12 yr old girl?<BR>as they are too young to drink, wineries will not be too much of an interest to them , <BR>and they could not care less about olive oil,<BR>so I am sure those will be one time visits. <BR><BR>My plan is one excursion/ city/ village <BR>per day,
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:50 AM

Here are some ideas:<BR>-Lake Trasimeno<BR>-local markets<BR>-rent bikes<BR>-go horesback riding<BR>-go to Pisa and sketch or paint (this is REALLY cool! Much better than buying postcards!)<BR>-go to a soccer match<BR>-crocodile water park in San Savino<BR>-go to a natural hot springs (terme)<BR>-if you like cheese, make it a theme (pecorino is made in Pienza)<BR>-take a cooking class together: the LSA language school offers classes in Siena: www.languagestudiesabroad.com<BR>Will you be lucky enough to be there during the Palio (July 2 &amp; August 16, I think)?<BR>Enjoy!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:59 AM

My husband and I took had four teens on our last two trips to Tuscany. Things they liked were: climbing the towers (Siena, San Gim, Florence, etc.), shopping by themselves (Siena amd Lucca are a wonderful towns to say &quot;Meet back here in two hours.&quot, the town of Civita something (featured in Rick Steves book - only 18 inhabitants but an adventure in old world living), riding the trains, and tours (we all learned so much more by having a guided tour than reading a book and trying to see the signts by ourselves). Other than that, they just enjoyed comparing everything in Italy to the US - expecially the toilets! They had a great time and can't wait to go back. Have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:47 AM

<BR><BR>Okay, this isn't IN Tuscany, but we did Cinque Terra as a day trip when we stayed in Tuscany. It was a long day, but well worth it. They are a series of 5 hill towns which hug the ocean. Simply gorgeous there.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions,<BR>I will certainly follow up.<BR>We did go to Pisa on our first trip.<BR>Loved the Bapistry.<BR>As this is the first trip we are NOT y staying on the coast,<BR>maybe we will head to the C.T for the day, good idea.<BR>Thanks again,<BR>Still taking all suggestions