Notices

Tuscany day trips

Jun 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Tuscany day trips

Okay so I have it widdled down to staying in a Val d'Orcia agriturismo. We want to take some day trips while there for a week. Is it too far to Florence? Is one day in Florence enough? Also, what is a gorgeous coast town within reach? I have heard that the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre are of the Top 5, but with our trip being in Venice, Tuscany, and Rome, those are out of reach. Any suggestions?
Jun 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM

deb,
This will give you some ideas for day trips in the Val d'Orcia http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Jun 16th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Florence is really too far for a day trip but Siena would be possible.
Jun 16th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Depending on where you stay, getting to Florence from Val d'Orcia will require no less than a couple of hours. Not that recommended for a day trip.
Concerning the Gorgeous coast town: count 3-4 hours train for 5 terre (I wouldn't go there by car). The Amalfi cost is my preferite, but is very far (you have to get a high speed to naples/rome and there hire a car or get a public bus - you'll loose one day only to get there.
Closer to Val d'Orcia is Maremma (the Tuscany sea side). You won't see major cities, but the Argentario, Capalbio, Castiglione della Pescaia and Talamone are very beautiful and could be reached by day trip (very tight indeed!)

For additioanl tips have a look at my travel blog www.delightfullyitaly.com

Search this Thread