Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscany Chianti base for a week / hotel recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscany-chianti-base-for-a-week-hotel-recommendations-966899/)

elijahmo Feb 14th, 2013 01:37 PM

Tuscany Chianti base for a week / hotel recommendations

Hi all,

I have narrowed down my honeymoon location search to the triangle of hilltop towns - Gaiole in Chianti
Radda in Chianti
Castellina in Chianti.

I am looking for a country hotel / farmhouse or apartment with a pool within walking distance to the town for evening meals.

As a week base location, any recommendations on which of the three towns would be best? Keen on a nice selection of restaurants for eating out?=.

And does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay within walking distance of one of the three towns? Budget up to 250 Euros per night.

Thanks, Adam

bobthenavigator Feb 14th, 2013 04:15 PM

Look at Fattoria Vignale in Radda or Castello di Spaltenna near Gaiole.

skatterfly Feb 14th, 2013 05:13 PM

I know you didn't include Greve in Chianti in your locations, but have you considered Vignamaggio in Greve? It's the place where they filmed "much ado about nothing"... they have a villa and cozy little romantic apartments in the rustic out buildings below the main property. They have 2 pools (one right below the apartments) and the sunsets are incredible.

It's also a decent winery (their Reserva wines especially), and it made a good place to stay and explore the Chianti region.

If I had a chance to go back to Chianti, that's where I'd go.

Over a decade ago Wine Spectator did a wonderful issue devoted to the Chianti... and we had a lot of fun going to various wonderful remote little hill towns.

A highlight of our trip was a full food and wine tasting at Castello di Verazzano.

Congrats on your coming honeymoon. Have fun of planning!

HappyTrvlr Feb 14th, 2013 05:28 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Fattoria Vignale in Radda. Nice pool, views of vineyards, short stroll into town, hotel's restaurant is excellent.

elijahmo Feb 15th, 2013 01:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm looking at Castello di Spaltenna and Fattoria Vignale - they both look great but Spaltenna probably edges it for me as it looks like walking distance to town for dinner from google maps. Is that right? Would be great to be able to stroll out for dinner in the evenings.

We are also looking at having a few days in Montalcino at Suite D'Arista if anyone knows much about that place?

Thanks for your help so far!

jnjfraz Feb 15th, 2013 04:15 PM

We have a place 2 blocks down the hill from Castello Spaltenna and used to rent around Radda for years.

Radda is a wonderful town and Vignale is closer to Radda then Spaltenna is to Gaiole. Vignale has a bunch of common sitting rooms and a decent restaurant. Radda has some good restaurants and it's fun town but the 3 summer months are very crowded with busses and tourists.

Spaltenna is 2 blocks above Gaiole. Gaiole is a quieter town but has some wonderful restaurants within walking distance of town. Castello Spaltenna is very historic and amazing charming. They have an amazing bar, spa/pool area and good (but expensive) restaurant. The Castello is surrounded by vineyards so that alone would sway me. And I think the room prices are more resonable at Spaltenna.

I have a wonderful restaurant list of the area. If you're interested email me at [email protected]

llorea1964 Feb 15th, 2013 04:38 PM

You have to check out hotel San leonino in castelina in chianti.....best rates, fantastic pool, restaurant and service, you won't be disappointed. Have gone for years but you have to book early! Have fun!

HappyTrvlr Feb 15th, 2013 04:43 PM

Fattoria Vignale , the walk to town is a matter of 100yards.