Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscany: Castello Vicchiomaggio (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscany-castello-vicchiomaggio-376912/)

gshlaw Nov 17th, 2003 08:51 AM

Tuscany: Castello Vicchiomaggio

Am planning a trip for the spring; has anyone had any experience with this inn? All comments &/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Traveler2 Nov 17th, 2003 11:15 AM

Finally a question that I can answer as we just stayed there!
If you want to email me at [email protected] I have at least 10 to 15 pictures of the grounds and our apt. at the castle. Also if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can.

We were having dinner in Greve and started talking to another couple from the US. and talked about where we all were staying. They had so many good things to say about Castello Vicchiomaggio that we drove there to see it and stayed there a week later for 1 night. We had a large apt. I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

This castle was built between the 5th and 15th century. (My husband feels that is quite a stretch of time, but I am quoting their brochure) It is a working estate. (Agritourism) It has many tour buses that stop there for lunch and/or to tour the grounds. The views are quite beautiful and I have some recommendations that I can give, if you wish, as to which apartments I would chose to stay in.

Not to confuse you, but we also stayed at Villa Vignamaggio. This would be my 1st choice of places to stay. It also is in Greve area.

I have to add that our favorite town, and area, is Greve. Greve is small enough to be quaint, and very easy to shop, but big enough to have all the amenities that we needed, with good choices for restaurants. (we also stayed in Castellina in Chianti and loved the town, so it would be a close 2nd, but Greve had more choices) I think you have chosen well. (please realise this is my opinion)

gshlaw Nov 17th, 2003 01:27 PM

Dear Travel2: Thank you so very much. I've just e-mailed you and look forward to your response.

plumplum Nov 18th, 2003 09:53 AM

We did not stay at Castello Vichiomaggio, we did however enjoy a fantastic 5-course "Tuscan Banquet" with 6 other couples from all over the world. We started with a mini-tour, led by Anna, of the ancient wine cellar which was built somewhere around 910 and I believe its the only original part of the castle. It rained that day so unfortunately we weren't able to visit the vineyard. Dinner was amazing. We started with appetizers followed by a zucchini souffle, pasta with wild boar sauce, roast beef with roast potatoes and green beans. We had a different wine, from the vineyard, with each course and finished the meal off with Vin Santo and biscotti and finally, some Grappa. I'd go back in a minute. Have a great trip!

Jayne11159 Nov 18th, 2003 12:43 PM

Traveler2,

Where in Tuscany is Greve? I'm looking for a homebase in Tuscany for 5 or 6 people in July. Are there any restaurants nearby?

beachysis Oct 7th, 2004 01:01 PM

ttt....
Looks like several people considered staying here, but only one person said they did! Can't find any reviews on tripadvisor or slowtrav.com either. I have a reservation for a few weeks from now, and wondering if anyone can share their recent opinions, experiences or tips on Castello Vicchiomaggio, please.
For example, the building itself is old, but are the rooms modern w/ modern bathrooms & shower? Is the wine-tasting at their shop a goos way to spend some time, or is it simply a sip to sell you a bottle, with no info or ambience?
Thanks!

LAwoman Oct 7th, 2004 01:07 PM

beachysis -- there is a trip report on slowtrav that mentions this place, #522

beachysis Oct 8th, 2004 05:40 AM

Thanks! I didn't look in that part, only the hotel reviews. Those people said they loved Vicchiomaggio (thankfully no negative comments)!

bookchick Oct 8th, 2004 07:18 AM

I'd be curious to know what your experience is, and look forward to your trip report.

The film "Much Ado About Nothing" was filmed there, and it looks gorgeous!

BC

LAwoman Oct 8th, 2004 07:39 AM

Much Ado About Nothing was filmed at Villa Vignamaggio, not Castello Vicchiomaggio. But I'm sure they're both beautiful. So many villas, so little time...

PMB Oct 8th, 2004 07:39 AM

The names are rather confusing. The film Much Ado About Nothing was done at Villa Vignamaggio just about the time we stayed there about 10 years ago.

bookchick Oct 8th, 2004 08:28 AM

My bad! Hope it's a great trip, and still looking forward to hearing about it after your return.

BC

beachysis Oct 11th, 2004 06:30 AM

Thanks, BC. I will try to be good and post a report when we get back (and hopefully it won't bore any one)! Only one night at Castello Vicchiomaggio however (unfortunately - just a taste!) - rest of the trip is 2 or three nights in each of Florence, Venice & Rome