Tuscany Car Rental

Sep 25th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Tuscany Car Rental

I and my 2 daughters plan to rent a car in Florence next July, just prior to our departure for Castellina in Chianti. We'll have the car for 3 full days, dropping it off in Orvieto so we can train to Rome. Looking at Europecar and Autoeurope, the above scenario will not work. Both websites claim that the auto can't be dropped in Orvieto.

Has anyone done a similar itinerary and can recommend a car rental company which will accommodate what we want to do?

Also, my Bank of America MC has auto insurance coverage. In your experience, is this sufficient. I have no desire to be gouged any more than necessary!

Thank you all!
Sep 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that AutoEurope won't let you drop off a car in Orvieto. Just Google AutoEurope Orvieto. I just went to AE's website and plugged in a 3-day rental from Florence to Orvieto for next July...and no problem.

Can't speak to EuropCar, but that's probably the agency AutoEurope will use, anyway. Why not just call AE anyway? Much better than doing a big purchase like that over the Internet IME, and they are very good at answering questions, such as any you may have about insurance.

You're going to have to pay for insurance in Italy no matter what. No cc that I know of covers you for everything that's required. You'll need to determine what kind of deductible you're willing to live with, and if you pay full deductible, it will raise the rental cost significantly (though it quite possibly is worth it to you).
Sep 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you were trying to do this online and you selected a particular pick up location in Florence and then it wouldn't let you return to Orvieto. That's probably because whichever company has that particular location in Florence may not have one in Orvieto.

I agree -- the best thing to do is to call AutoEurope. They can handle all kinds of things that seem impossible to do on the internet.

Regarding insurance, as I've said many times, I learned from experience that taking only the required insurance with the rental and relying on your credit card (just be sure to check with them first as to your coverage) is much better than taking additional coverage from the rental. Your credit card is more likely to give you a zero deductible as well as some other benefits that the rental doesn't have -- but you MUST refuse all optional insurance to get the better credit card coverage.
Sep 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Call at 800-223-5555 for Autoeurope.
They will get you a good car from Hertz that is an easy drop in Orvieto.
Sep 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM

The Hertz Orvietto location is closed Sunday and closes on Saturday at 13:30.
Maybe the hours you put in were during the closed hours.
Its a 2 person agency with the agent often away for coffee break and or lunch break.
It is right across the street from the the train station with cars parked in a lot nearby.
just used it in September.
Sep 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM

If it's closed, they almost always have the option to leave the keys and insurance packet in a dropbox. We did that last Sunday in La Rochelle.
Sep 25th, 2012, 01:25 PM

You could try http://www.economycarrentals.com/ which allows a pick-up in Florence and a drop-off in Orvieto. However, it tends to be expensive on one-way rentals but cheaper than Autoeurope if returning the car to the same location. It offers a no excess, i.e. no deductible, insurance policy.
Sep 25th, 2012, 08:31 PM

I just reserved a car last night from kemwel, picking up from the Hertz office in Florence on Via Del Sansovino and dropping off in Orvieto. You might need to just play around with your locations/times. And everyone I've talked to who has driven in Italy has told me "get the insurance - it's worth your peace of mind." Good luck!
Sep 26th, 2012, 05:20 AM

And everyone I've talked to who has driven in Italy has told me "get the insurance - it's worth your peace of mind." Good luck!"

Apparently those people haven't yet learned that if they DO have an accident they will still be liable for a deductible and may have additional expense. My peace of mind comes from declining the additional insurance offered by the car company and relying on my credit card which (from experience) I know will fully cover me.
It's easy to have peace of mind if you delude yourself into thinking that coverage for which you pay big bucks is actually as good as your own "free" credit card coverage in most instances.
Sep 26th, 2012, 05:53 AM

But you must buy CDW (collision damage waiver) when renting a car in Italy.

And you also are required to have an International Driver's Permit (IDP) along with your own driver's license -- required not by the car rental company but by the country of Italy. (For North Americans, it's easy and inexpensive to get an IDP at your local AAA/CAA office.)
Sep 26th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Mimar, you are correct. But i's all that additional mediocre insurance the companies want to sell you that I object to -- so long as you already have better coverage with your credit card, which certainly MOST Americans do have.
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM

so long as you already have better coverage with your credit card, which certainly MOST Americans do have.

Not for Italy.
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Michael, what are you talking about?

I checked with two of my cards regarding coverage in Italy. As long as I took the REQUIRED insurance in Italy but declined all OPTIONAL insurance, my credit card would take over providing me with a zero deductible and various other coverages -- overall far better than the OPTIONAL additional coverage offered by the rental agency.

What do you know that's different from that? Or did you fail to notice the word "additional" in my posts?
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:27 AM

NeoPatrick,

This has been discussed before, and while your credit card apparently covers Italy, VISA and MasterCard generally do not cover countries with "I" (I know that mine does not): Italy, Ireland and Israel. Check out some of the comments on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-387101-2.cfm
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Michael, I still think you're confusing something. While NO credit card to my knowledge covers Italy, Ireland, or Israel completely -- they DO cover you beyond the initial required purchased insurance in those countries. Why do you think they don't? When I called Visa specifically about Italy, they were just careful to point out that the basic insurance MUST be purchased through the auto renter (unlike in other countries) but they were also careful to point out that once that is done, full coverage for the remainder goes into effect automatically through your credit card.

I did check out that other thread you linked, where we had the same discussion -- but I still haven't seen anyone proving that credit card companies do NOT provide the ADDITIONAL coverage beyond the REQUIRED purchased coverage in Italy.
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Oh, I should also mention that theft insurance is part of the REQUIRED coverage in Italy and does come with the required purchase insurance -- along with the CDW waiver. So that part will be covered by the agency and not by your credit card. It is the paying of the balance of deductible in particular that I'm talking about your credit card paying. There is normally no reason to take EXTRA insurance the car agency may try to sell you.
Sep 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM

NeoPatrick,

OK, I'll take your word for it. The last time I rented a car in Italy, I rented from a company that offered full coverage with no excess (deductible).
Sep 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Michael, if you had a wreck and the car was disabled, would that insurance pay for it to be hauled and stored until it could be dealt with? Would that insurance pay for an alternate rental if your term of rental was not up? Would that insurance pay for clean up of the crash site if necessary?

I learned by experience that the VISA insurance does cover all those things and more. I'm not sure if the car rental insurance itself does. But again, the VISA insurance would only work IF you declined all OPTIONAL insurance and only took what was required with the Italy rental. Meanwhile are you saying the company you rented from OFFERED the no deductible at an extra cost -- or that was what came with the basic REQUIRED insurance?
Sep 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Oh, by the way, I just came across our recent AutoEurope rental agreement for Italy. It says "your rental includes Collision Damage coverage. Rental limits potential vehicle damage liability to deductible of EUR 1000."

It also says "your rental includes Theft protection for the vehicle. Rental limits potential vehicle loss liability to deductible of approximately EUR 1000."
"Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee."

So clearly if we had an accident or if the car was stolen, the credit card insurance would pick up that 1000 EUR deductible. Unlike your rental, ours did not come with a zero deductible, and we did not see any reason to pay for such extra coverage which they would have happily sold us when we have it automatically with our credit card.
Sep 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM

NeoPatrick,

the cost of the rental was much lower than anything Autoeurope offered. However, nothing happened to the car, so I can't say if the broker who provides the insurance would have lived up to his claims.