Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscany Apt /House Help Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscany-apt-house-help-please-747976/)

kathrynj Nov 11th, 2007 01:55 PM

Tuscany Apt /House Help Please!

I am trying to find a 3 bedroom self-catering (cooktop, not oven would be ok) in either San Quirico d'Orcia, Monticchiello or Montefollonico. I'd prefer close to one of those towns or even an in town location.

Have been looking at lots of agriturismos as well as some agencies but could really use some help! This is for next September and I did see one house via Tuscan House that is already booked.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Kathy

LoveItaly Nov 11th, 2007 02:19 PM

Hello kathrynj, have you looked at the SlowTravel website. The are known for their apartment rentals.

Their website is:
http://www.slowtrav.com/

It is an interesting website in many way..quite different than Fodor's of course..but you might enjoy it.

kathrynj Nov 11th, 2007 03:10 PM

Thanks---I feel like I have memorized the Slow Trav site and you are right, it is very good. There was an agnecy, Tuscan House, that had a nice house in Monticchiello but it is booked already.

I have not been able to find anything in San Quirico d'Orcia.

Kathy

sandi_travelnut Nov 11th, 2007 03:29 PM

have you looked on www.vrbo.com?

kathrynj Nov 11th, 2007 03:36 PM

Thanks Sandi---vrbo was my first place to check since I have rented using it---I will recheck but there didn't seem to be anything where I was trying to locate.

leelaurino Nov 11th, 2007 05:30 PM

I have worked with a company in Siena for apartments and houses in the area you might be interested in.

URL: http://www.labellatoscana.it
Title:La Bella Toscana
Description: Accommodation in luxury villas, vacation rentals and apartments, most with pool in central Tuscany, and on the stunning Amalfi coast

Terese

La Bella Toscana
Via Solferino 28
53034 Colle di Val d'Elsa
(Siena) - Italy
Tel. 00 39 0577 926768
Fax. 00 39 0577 999023
E.mail: [email protected]
Web: www.labellatoscana.net

please tell Terese, i sent you.
[email protected]
www.HomeToItaly.com

tuscanlifeedit Nov 11th, 2007 05:44 PM

Hi kathrynj: I actually worked for a company that rented houses and apartments in Tuscany, and we stayed in a very large house they owned outside of San Quirico. Plenty of room, actually two big bathrooms and at least three bedrooms on the main floor, and a living room, laundry and a lot more on the ground floor. The page says near Siena but it is actually very close to San Quirico d'Orcia.

http://www.florencevillas.com/santam...properties.htm

The pool wasn't very nice, a half in-ground round pool, but it is ok. You can tell Megan that Debbie who used to do the newsletter sent you, if you want. Not necessary; they are a very nice small company, family owned. I haven't worked for them in a few years, so I don't think it is at all advertising, and I was only a freelance PR writer, anyway.

kathrynj Nov 12th, 2007 03:27 AM

Thanks so much everyone!! I also found another place on the internet but the units are only 2 bedrooms---Il Poggiolo and it looks beautiful.

I'll check out all the recommendations! Kathy

Royal Nov 12th, 2007 04:13 AM

Kathrynj. Hopefully, you will get some responses re Il Poggiolo as we too have been looking at their website and wondering if any Fodorites have stayed there.

I agree it looks lovely and the location seems ideal.

Two other places we are looking at are Fonte Bertusi and Cretaiole. I'm having a tough time deciding among these three.

kathrynj Nov 12th, 2007 05:21 AM

Royal,

I have also looked at those 3 among a number of others. I haven't been able to find any reviews of Il Poggiolo but have tons from the others.

Feeling overwhelmed with choices to a degree but really trying to focus on the locale I want. Cretaiole appears booked for the week I want.

As I sort things out, I can let you know other places that were of interest---how many in your group?

Kathy

Royal Nov 12th, 2007 05:40 AM

So far there is just my husband and myself but there is a chance my sister and husband may join us.

We would still prefer separate apts so any of these 3 places would work.

Let's hope we get some responses re Il Poggiolo. Am pretty sure someone on this board recommended it but I can't find the thread.

kathrynj Nov 12th, 2007 06:20 AM

Royal,

I agree---we need to ask Stu Dudley since he has friends who live in San Quirico.....!!

Debbie,

Santa Maria is gorgeous but is a bit too large for us and therefore too expensive---loved how it looked!

Thanks all----

Kathy

akila Nov 12th, 2007 07:17 AM

I just got back from staying at Montorio in Montepulciano. Fantastic place, with one of the best views in all of Tuscany. I don't think they have 3 bedroom apartments, but they have two bedrooms with one that has two double beds. They also have five different apartments, so you could possibly rent out two apartments. We thought the rates were reasonable, the location was fantastic and gorgeous, and the kitchen (though small) was large enough for two people to cook in, and had plenty of necessary supplies. Stefania, the owner, is super nice and very helpful.

If you stay there, or stay in Montepulciano, make sure you check out the market day on Thursday. We bought great looking and tasting produce for ridiculously low prices (grapes so sweet that they tasted like sugar, and two giant handfuls of chanterelles for 3 Euros), and had so much fun walking around with the locals and mangling the Italian language.

bobthenavigator Nov 12th, 2007 01:17 PM

The friends of Stu have a fabulous place in San Quirico that may be perfect if big enough. It is named BELLA CASA and I think they have a classified at slowtrav.com--if not, just Google that name.

kathrynj Nov 12th, 2007 01:56 PM

Bob,

Thanks so much---I didn't see the ad and the place looks gorgeous! I had been trying to find it! Unfortunately, it looks like it will only be 2 of us since my other brother and sister in law can't come!

I am hoping Cretaiole will have room, otherwise, I have a couple of other places that may be ok for 2 bedrooms. I sure will keep this place in mind for the future.

If I can't get into Cretaiole, will maybe do Metina or Il Pogglio.

Thanks again, everyone!! Kathy

tedgale Nov 12th, 2007 03:00 PM

I have stayed at the apartments "Al Poggiolo" and was so impressed and delighted that I sent 2 sets of friends there.

In one case, 3 generations of 1 family rented 2 units -- and got a special rate from the owners.

Montepulciano is a perfect centre from which to visit S Tuscany - lots of restaurants and lots to see, plus easy access to many smaller towns.

BUT: it would not suit people who hate climbing hills -- it is practically vertical!

Anyway: Margherita and her sister (and Margherita's 2 architect sons) have done an absolutely first rate job of renovating the previously dilapidated outbuildings adjacent to their mother's family palazzo. Great kitchens and baths, authentic Tuscan materials -- "cotto" floors, beamed ceilings, etc.

(Their father's family palazzo is now state offices but their brother has an apartment there)

I am currently planning our March trip to Italy (after a full month, January 2008, in Savannah, GA -- FAR AWAY from Canadian snow)

And Al Poggiolo is definitely on my list -- they have off-season rates until March 15......

kathrynj Nov 13th, 2007 03:48 AM

Everyone,

Again thanks for the helpful responses. Has ended up needing only a 2 bedroom and was ab le to get the last apartment like that at Cretaiole which had the exact location I wanted, between Pienza and San Quirico.

Royal, if you are intererested in them, they are booking up quickly---this was for mid-September. I also was looking at Fonte Bertusi and Metina. Good luck in your search!

Kathy

Royal Nov 13th, 2007 04:54 AM

Thanks Kathy. I know it's a long way off but I would really appreciate hearing your feedback after your stay at Cretaiole.

We still haven't made a final decision on our trip and may do Southern France instead next year and leave Italy for the following spring.

Like you I prefer the location between Pienza and San Quirico as we have already spent some time in Montalcino and thought a change would be nice.

Good luck with the rest of your planning.

kathrynj Nov 13th, 2007 11:38 AM

I'll definitely post since I appreciate all the help others have given me. If you decide to go to the Luberon, let me know since I have done a house rental there with friends (stayed in Goult, a very small village I loved!)

Kathy

Royal Nov 13th, 2007 01:24 PM

Kathy. We have done the Luberon, stayed in Gordes at Mas des Romarins and really enjoyed it. Goult was charming.

Thinking now about Burgundy, Dordogne and the Loire valley.

It's a hard decision because I want to return to the Val d'Orcia but feel it would be nice to go somewhere we haven't been. A nice dilemma though.