Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscany AND Provence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscany-and-provence-257935/)

dawn Sep 14th, 2002 01:44 PM

Tuscany AND Provence?

We are in the primary stages of planning a Italy/France trip next March. Our inclination is fly into Rome, stay a week in Tuscany, drive to Provence, stay a week there and then fly out of Paris. However, we are wondering whether these two areas are very similar in either atmosphere or topography. Would it be better to pick another area to visit in France, say the Dordogne region? Thanks for your help!

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Sep 14th, 2002 06:01 PM

Dawn, Why go so far to for a similar experience--especially in March. Stick with one country--either Tuscany and Amalfi coast in Italy or Provence and Cote d' Azur in France. And, Paris is a long way from Provence. You will waste almost 2 days in travel with your original plan.

Ray Sep 14th, 2002 06:46 PM

My girlfriend and I spent 9 days in Tuscany last year and another 12 days in Rome/Venice. This year, we did 7 days in Provence and another 8 days in Paris. While Provence and Tuscany both have their own unique charms, I found that there are many similarities between the two, especially when you have a rental car to get around to all the smaller isolated places.<BR><BR>My suggestion would be to spend more time in one country and explore, rather than covering so much land all in one time. with a rental car, you'll have the urge to see as much sites as you can (like we did), which can be very tiring over 2 weeks (not to mention the long drive between countries).<BR><BR>Email me if you have more specific questions about Tuscany or Provence. I also took a ton of digital pics of Provence, which I will be posting soon (including hotel rooms).<BR><BR>- Ray

StCirq Sep 14th, 2002 07:39 PM

Dawn: While I would never discourage anyone from visiting the Dordogne, it does seem to me that you are trying to pack too much driving into your itinerary just to see different geography.<BR><BR>Provence and Tuscany do indeed share some geographical, geological, and agricultural traits - enough so that it could be said that you won't be experiencing two entirely different landscapes if those are your two destinations.<BR><BR>I agree with other posters - stay in Italy to maximize your time (and to avoid the inevitable drop-off fee for the rental car), but pick two different regions within the country - Tuscany and the Lake District would be my preferences, but to each his own.

ann Sep 15th, 2002 04:07 AM

Have been to both and they are somewhat similiar. They are certainly both very nice and enough different to make it enjoyable but if you are looking for different feelings perhaps another region in France would be better. This summer we went from Rome through Tuscany, stopped in the Cinque Terra area, then headed up to Paris via the Burgundy region. We stopped in Anncey which is near Geneva too, it was right on the way. This way you get the feel of some very different areas and I think the driving would actually be less than if you went through Provence. (I had done Provence on a seperate trip). If your total trip time is only two weeks you won't have much time in each area but probably enough to be enjoyable. The drive from the Cinque Terra (we actually stayed in Camogli, which I loved) to Anncey (through Mont Blanc tunnel) took a good part of a day but otherwise most of our drives from place to place were two hours or less. We didn't stay in any one place for more than two or three nights but I didn't find that too rushed (no it wasn't a stay in one place and get to know it trip, which is the type favored on this foroum). I would do it again.

John B. Sep 15th, 2002 05:48 AM

I agree with the replies. "Do" one, not both. The weather may be a key factor. For historical data check out:<BR>http://www.weatherbase.com/<BR>It may help you decide.<BR>Regards. <BR>John B.

dawn Sep 15th, 2002 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the collective help. It's going to be such a hard decision. We have always been more comfortable in the country instead of urban areas and were looking forward to exploring our way through France. However, Italy has so much too see that I'm sure we could easily spend all three weeks there. It's so difficult trying to have our cake and eating it too! Thanks again.

canuck Sep 16th, 2002 11:41 AM

Last year we spent 2 weeks in one place in Tuscany. But two years before that we spent one week in Provence with friends at a wonderful Provencal house for a week and then drove to San Gimignano on our own where we rented an apt. for a week. We had a great time and found both Provence and Tuscany to be vastly different. But we loved both! If you plan to return, it is a good way to savour each place and decide which you like enough to return.