Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

tuscany and limited walking ability - really need your help!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:31 AM
bashful

My hubbie and I are going to Tuscany for 2 weeks. My very dear friend wants to join us and we'd love to have her. She however has fibromyalgia. Love her dearly but last thing we want is to be held back on our exploration of the area. Walking doesn't seem to be a problem but I'm concerned about "hill-walking"..we are s. of Florence and plan to go to the Chianti region, Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Monteriggioni, San Gim. etc...has anyone any experience with this? Any suggestions? Should she go? Should we let her come with us?? Many thanks.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Lexma90

Bashful - Your friend may have some difficulties. Monteriggioni (once you're in the town) & Pienza are not on hills (though San G. is not real hilly), but the others are. As I recall, Montepulciano has a steep incline. Some of the Chianti towns are very hilly, some aren't. Is she willing to "sit out" some towns if you arrive and she determines the walking would be too much for her? Sitting at an outdoor cafe in Tuscany sipping wine is not a bad way to spend time...

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:24 AM
bashful

I've suggested she bring books everywhere she goes in case she has to "sit it out"...do you recall any other towns that were pretty good? I seem to recall a fairly steep hill leading into San Gimignano from the parking lot. I just hate the thought of feeling rushed because I know she's sitting somewhere for possibly several hours. But if we know ahead of time the towns that are "do-able" then she can do her own thing when we go to the more challenging ones. I'm making a list and will put your suggestions in the Can-do column. Thanks. Any more info?

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Beth

at the risk of sounding like a broken record... she should be able to manage Orvieto. You can take the funicular up, and there are even buses that run around town, so it should be quite accessible.

Montepulciano is VERY steep. But, I did see vans that ran to the top of the town. Still, this one might be tougher for her. I think Cortona would be pretty tough too.

Siena has buses that deposit you near the top, so you can get around with not too much walking. that might be feasible.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:21 AM
xxxx

I think I've heard that Assisi is challenging as well as Cortona. In San Gimignano I think although you can't park outside the gates you can drop your friend off, park and meet her. Maybe you can do that in other places??

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:34 AM
elaine

Hi
If you are concerned about her mobility or stamina
you might want to suggest that she look into tours that are geared toward travelers with limitations or disabilities. I realize it's hard to say that, but you might end up feeling resentful if she comes with you and things don't work out well. Unless of course she's willing to sit out when necesary, and you don't feel guilty about leaving her for a while.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 04:42 AM
gluck

Aside from hills, there are also lots of 'scala' (stairs.) In general, travelling can be quite the aerobic exercise.

I don't know how easy this would be to arrange in your case, but when we travelled to Hawaii with my nearly 80 year old mother-in-law, we booked a bus tour for her for approximately half the time whilst we went hiking and snorkelling. The rest of the time we explored in a car or relaxed on beaches together. This arrangement worked beautifully for everyone.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:31 AM
xxx

I'm not sure what kind of walking you have in mind. If you're going to walk from one town TO another, assuming it's less than about 5 miles, it will be a really steep hike up the some of the towns -- mostly nice fairly easy walking, a little hilly, in the countryside, then usually a pretty steep ascent, though on decent paths (not "goat trails") up to the hill town. This type of walking was what we did on a walking tour rated "beginner" i.e. easy/moderate, and I found those last uphill stretches pretty tough for me.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:41 AM
xxx above

P.S. I have no phys. disability, but found those final uphill stretches really difficult. Walking within the towns was not difficult at all, though there were hilly portions and bumpy walks in most towns, especially Cortona. Many people have some degree of fibromyalgia and do all normal activities -- depends, I think, on the severity, location, and other aspects of her overall phys. condition, health, strength. You will definitely want to walk -- a lot-- and it won't be smooth level horizontal sidewalks, so if she's has ANY trouble taking long walks on absolutely flat smooth walkways, she'll have way too much trouble there, and I should hope she wouldn't force her way into your plans. On the other hand, if she has a normal active life, but with some annoying pain, and can't do vigorous activity the way she used to, and may want to walk a tiny bit more slowly than you usually do, merely walking around hill towns should not be a great problem, and you may find you see and enjoy more sharing the walks at the slightly slower pace she requires. In short, it depends....

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:25 AM
metoo

I too have fibro and although I've been to Italy, not to Tuscany. I can walk pretty well as long as it's not steep hills as it's hard on my old bod. Hopefully she will do some homework to see what places are impossibly steep within town and use those days as "refresher" days stay home to rest her body. Although known as hilltowns I think the hills are often on the way to the town and not the town itself. She must pace herself though to be fair to everyone. It would be easy to push oneself after making the trek to Tuscany but she must be mindful and pay attention to her body.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:34 AM
hard to say no

I think you should encourage her to look into some tours suitable for someone with limited abilities. I think the very fact that you are asking this question indicates that you know the answer and are having a difficult time telling her.
I have been asked dozens of times by friends to include them on my trips.
My only way out of this has been to plan a week long trip every couple of years for just the "girls". We may visit Europe or a great city in the States.
No matter how much you love someone, it is very trying having people along on your vacation. I suggest you and your husband do your thing and she does her own.

Good luck to you, Bashful.