Tuscany agriturismo: questions

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany agriturismo: questions

We'll have 4 nights in southern Tuscany and 2 nights in the San Gim area in October. Plan to use a hotel in San Gim. In the south we want to stay near Pienza, but we keep going back and forth on farm apartment vs. b&b. Leaning toward apartment for the extra space (there will be 3 of us).

Here's the main question: Though we don't suffer from jet lag, the first few days in Europe we always wake up very early (5am). Do farm apartments typically have a coffee maker? What if we stay in town...will there be somewhere to get coffee that early?

Sorry if this seems trivial, but pre-dawn without coffee is not something I'd look forward to!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM

JeanneB

I can't live without coffee so I always ask. But I have seriously never seen any sort of kitchen in Italy that did not have at least a little Italian espresso pot to put on a burner.

And if there is a burner, you can always buy one of the little pots and bring it home.

I like using them in Italy, and making hot milk on the stove for our morning coffees. We make at least two little pots for the two of us.

I actually miss it when I get home.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

I think that puts us firmly in the "apartment" category (I wouldn't mind buying a coffee maker!). That time of morning, I don't think one can count on walking into town to find a cafe. It's always nice to know one can make one's own no matter how early.

Do you know anything about these places?
Residenza Sarna
http://www.sarnaresidence.it

Agriturismo Cerreto
http://www.agriturismocerreto.com/

La Fonte
http://www.lafonte.toscana.it/2006/ita/

Agr Cretaiole is also on the list but I've found plenty of reviews for it. I have not found much on the ones listed above, but they all appear to have nice apartments that would work well for 3, and are easily accessible with nice grounds.

Thanks if you can help. J
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM

We recently returned from 2 weeks in Tuscany and stayed the first one in a farmhouse apt just 5 km from the small town of Asciano at Baccoleno. It was BEAUTIFUL and we LOVED our week there for exploring southern Tuscany. The location seemed perfect and the grounds of the farm were fantastic. We also need coffee in the morning but our apt did not have any sort of pot. We went to town and found a great small family owned market and bought the small stove-top espresso maker and ground coffee and made our coffee every morning. It was very good and and sitting out on our patio every morning with the view, espresso and pastry....perfect! I miss it very much. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM

Hi JeanneB,

The only one of these three places you list that I am a little familiar with is La Fonte.

It sits near Fonte Bertusi, the agriturisimo where I love to stay. The location of La Fonte is excellent- close to Pienza and has amazing views over the Val d'Orcia. Just looking at the locations of the other two you list, I feel La Fonte is the best situated.

I checked out La Fonte's grounds the last time I visited the area and although very nice, I prefer the grounds of Fonte Bertusi. La Fonte lacked a little character around the grounds. Not sure if this matters to you.

Not to confuse you further, I can highly recommend Fonte Bertusi. Check it out at-

fontebertusi.it

Have a wonderful vacation!

Zoe
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I had looked at Fonte Bertusi, but didn't present it to the others because the rates are out of our range. (Trying to keep this segment below 150 euros/night.) It looks beautiful and I'm sure it's worth it.

Thanks for the feedback about location. I'm glad because La Fonte is our favorite just based on the website and proximity to Pienza.