We will be visiting Italy in October 2013 for our honeymoon. We will be travelling from Venice to Florence, and then Florence to Rome.
We are looking at staying 4 nights in Tuscany. I was originally only considering Florence, as we don't feel confident driving around too much and feel other areas will be less convenient.
I have, however, researched the Castello del Nero, in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, around halfway between Siena and Florence. Has anyone stayed at this hotel or know of it? What are your recommendations? They offer a complimentary shuttle service to Florence and Siena, which I thought was good as we are able to see more of Tuscany than just Florence without needing a car.
We do however want to visit the Pisa, so I was thinking if we do stay at Castello del Nero, we could leave our bags at the train station when we arrive from Venice, go visit Pisa for the day, and then get the train back to Florence for the afternoon shuttle to the hotel. Alternatively, we would consider hiring a car or a vespa to day trip to Pisa and make see more of the Chianti wine region. What are your thoughts on this? We definitely want to limit our driving in Florence but this may be more convenient than taking public transport. The only issue is we will probably have to rent and return the car/vespa to Florence, which means getting the shuttle in and out.
Any alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really like the look of the Castello del Nero, and it is right in our budget (around 290 euro a night, our max would be 350 euro), but if anyone knows of any alternative hotels/b&b's that would be appropriate I would greatly appreciate your feedback!
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Venice Trip?
- 2 Help with 11 night Portugal Itinerary
- 3 10 Days in Austria
- 4 Russian-American Relations: safe to travel? Get Visas?
- 5 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 6 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 7 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 8 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 9 Le Marche Research Help
- 10 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 11 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 12 Greece in end October
- 13 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 14 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 15 GTG Paris December 2017
- 16 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 17 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 18 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 19 Favorite London memories
- 20 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 21 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 22 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 23 Return to Slovenia and Venice plus Trieste
- 24 Norte Dame light show!
- 25 Leaving Paris. Just a little sad.