Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscany-806835/)

littlerhody Sep 19th, 2009 11:27 AM

Tuscany

Hi, I'm new to this ,so please have patience. I'm planning my first trip abroad and need information. I want to travel to Tuscany and surrounding area in 2010. What is the best time of year to go, weatherwise. Average temperatures, rainfall, etc... and cost? In season vs off season. What other things should I look for , school vacations, should I plan on a week, 10 days or 2 weeks for this vacation. Any info will help. Thanks,
Littlerhody

Grinisa Sep 19th, 2009 11:51 AM

Tuscany itself is a fairly large region of Italy. By "surrounding area" does that mean you also want to see Umbria? Lazio? Liguria? What about Tuscany interests you? Do you want to spend a lot of time in Florence itself or do you prefer exploring the smaller hilltowns like Siena, San Gimignano, Pienza etc.? The cost will obviously depend on your length of stay, the type of accomodations you require, what mode of transportation you plan on using and the type and amount of food you usually eat on vacation. If you have a budget in mind, that would be helpful to know so we can help with hotels, restaurants etc. I think the best time to visit is May. Great weather and longer days. September/October is next best but then you are dealing with less hours of sunshine. June through August is hot and very crowded. Off season would be November through March, excepting for the two week period surrounding Easter. Yes, it's less crowded off season and the hotels less expensive, but the weather can be wet and bone chilling. Give us an idea of what interests you and I'm sure you'll receive lots of help.

littlerhody Sep 19th, 2009 12:28 PM

Grinisa, Thanks for your quick response. I'm just starting to do research on and around Tuscany. I think I'd like to sample other cultures trough their cuisine and History. Can you suggest where I might get DVD's on this subject. Have you been there many times? What do you think are " MUST SEE " or " MUST DO " things/places. Thanks again. Brian

annhig Sep 19th, 2009 12:44 PM

oh Brian.

that's a big ask. have you got access to any guide books for the area? cuisine and history does narrow it down, but only a bit, as tuscany is rich in both. do you want to stay in a city, a village, the countryside? would you like an activity like cycling? - can be good if you are travelling alone. also there are I believe some cookery classes that you could do which might fit in well with your interests.

mainly you do need to think to yourself - "what is it that draws me to tuscany?"

zeppole Sep 19th, 2009 12:56 PM

littlerhody,

rather than a DVD, buy Fred Plotkin's book "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" and read the section on Tuscany. Much of Tuscany has been changed by tourism, so if you want to get to something more authentic, you will really have to dig. This website might help:

http://www.elegantetruria.com/

The history of Tuscany goes back to the Etruscans and Hannibal, and thensome -- on through the Renaissance and it even qets quite dramatic in World War II.

littlerhody Sep 19th, 2009 02:12 PM

Thanks everybody. I'll do more research and get back to you. One last question, for a newbie/1st trip should I go guided tour or go it alone ? Any thoughts??? Thanks

ellenem Sep 19th, 2009 02:57 PM

The majority of posters here are independent travelers who research and make their own travel plans. They might hire a guide for a specific activity, city, or sight but for the most part travel on their own. Between guidebooks and online resources such as this site and others, there's a wealth of information available. I believe that you can create a plan and travel on your own at your own speed, following your own interests. On the other hand, only you know how you will enjoy being totally on your own and whether you need the camaraderie of a tour.