Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscan Wine Tours (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscan-wine-tours-240141/)

ca Jul 16th, 2002 11:36 AM

Tuscan Wine Tours

I've been researching wine tours in the Tuscan region. I've found a few ranging from $100-$150USD per person. My question being should I book now or should I wing it when we get there? My hubby says wing it because you can always find wineries open to the public. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Carrie Jul 16th, 2002 01:04 PM

There is a web site for Italian wineries, sorry I'm not sure of it right now, think it might be vinitaly.com (do a google search) we were able to set up visits some small, some large only 1 out of 4 charged us for tasting (ask before you book). You do need a car but it's easy driving, we rented from auto Europe and picked up in<BR>Siena.

Tom Jul 16th, 2002 01:16 PM

We used Lorenzo at www.chiantimania.com. We paid around $450 (two people, full day and included lunch). We booked through a US intermediary, so I'm sure it would be less expensive if you went directly through him (website above). Enjoyed the tour as he was knowledgeable and tailored it to what we wanted to see (also some were way off the beaten path and we never would have found them, plus we didn't want to deal with driving).<BR><BR>We normally wing it on our own and our not "tour" people, but felt this was a better way to go (most aren't organized like napa which is geared towards tourists). Have fun

Tom Jul 16th, 2002 01:17 PM

We used Lorenzo at www.chiantimania.com. We paid around $450 (two people, full day and included lunch). We booked through a US intermediary, so I'm sure it would be less expensive if you went directly through him (website above). Enjoyed the tour as he was knowledgeable and tailored it to what we wanted to see (also some were way off the beaten path and we never would have found them, plus we didn't want to deal with driving).<BR><BR>We normally wing it on our own and our not "tour" people, but felt this was a better way to go (most aren't organized like napa which is geared towards tourists). Our least favorite winery we saw was the one that was heavily commercialized and had lots of walk-ins. Enjoy your trip, we had a great time!

ca Jul 16th, 2002 01:51 PM

Thanks,<BR><BR>Just what I thought. I'll tell hubby we should book in advance. Now we will only be in the region for 3 days. We were going to spend 1 night in Siena and another in Florence. Not to sound stupid, but what is the best "lead off" city to do the tours from.

xxx Jul 18th, 2002 04:44 AM

Either should be fine. Siena might be a little better (and a little more convenient to get in and out). Chiantimania arranged to meet us at our hotel in San Gimignano, but I think they will pick you up from wherever you are staying. Have fun, wish we were going back.

Dawn Jul 18th, 2002 07:49 AM

My husband is from Tuscany and every year we visit, and take at least a day or two and wander around either the Chianti area or further south in the Montepulciano area. We always wing it, and have never been on a formal wine tour. There will be wineries everywhere. The town of Montepulciano has several that are fabulous. We would just wanter around the countryside and see where the wind blows us. Obviously this is not for everyone, but we enjoyed stumbling upon things. We've been to some very small wineries that are often overlooked, and that are excellent, and we've also been to the bigger wineries, that are more geared to tours. Many of the Fattorias not only have wine, but also harvest olive oil, honey, and also have available cheeses and meat products that are made on sight. I personally would never pay the kind of money that has been mentioned for a tour and lunch. I'm not putting those people down that are running the tours, they've found a market who will pay. I would just like to do things more independently. I usually pick out one bigger vineyard as my target for the day, and then fill in around it. This last time when we were in Italy it was Badia de Coltbuono. We visited the grounds and church, tasted some wines, bought a few and left. They have a restaurant and you can take tours and cooking classes there also, but time didn't allow for it. Also it was early April. I'd do some research on the internet for narrowing down some bigger choices, and then go from there. If you centralize yourself to a place such as Montepulciano/Pienza, or Gaiole, Radda, Castellina, you will see wineries all over the place. Also, the S222 is in the Chianti area, and you can't go wrong here, this is known as the Chianti highway. You don't say what time of the year you're going. That would be helpful to know. Also, I would choose to stay in Siena for the southern wineries, Montepulciano, etc., and Florence for the Chianti area.

Diane Dec 29th, 2002 02:35 PM

Topping for John -- Dawn's advice is very good...this still isn't the thread I was thinking of, thought