Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tuscan town wine tasting with kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tuscan-town-wine-tasting-with-kids-620900/)

guanciale Jun 4th, 2006 08:18 PM

Tuscan town wine tasting with kids?

This may sound strange, but my husband and I are thinking we would like to visit a winery while we are staying outside Florence, with our kids (10 and 8). We have a lot of other kid-friendly activities figured out, but since we'll be staying in Tuscany, we would love to experience a casual winery, for tasting and lunch if possible, where it would be acceptable to bring kids. We have a couple days to visit hill towns, and we are thinking about Pienza, Montalcino, Vinci, Montepulciano, Collodi, San Quirico. Any thoughts on specific wineries or towns would be great!! Thanks.

Weadles Jun 5th, 2006 04:25 AM

Try IL BOTTEGA, which is just outside or in Radda. We had a wonderful lunch overlooking the vineyards there, and on certain days they do schedule wine tastings. It was a really beautiful place!

guanciale Jun 5th, 2006 11:04 AM

Thanks Weadles! Are you referring to Il Bottega in Volpaia, which is near Radda? I just tried to find it, but several sites popped up, though I'm not sure one for the winery to which you are referring. Do you know if they have a site? Did you like visiting the town of Radda as well? Would love to hear any more suggestions!

Eloise Jun 5th, 2006 12:18 PM

In the fortezza or castello or whatever of Montalcino, there is an enoteca where you can taste wine and have snacks of ham, cheese and such things. Brunello di Montalcino is considered one of the great Tuscan reds.

I very much doubt that anyone would object to the presence of the children. In Italy, many children are given a splash of wine in their water at an early age.

Dayle Jun 5th, 2006 12:23 PM

Hi Quan,

The Fortezza in Montalcino has a large, open area inside the walls where your kids could play while you kept an eye. No grass however. The enoteca is right there and will bring glasses out to you if you want, along with snacks as Eloise mentioned. Brunello is heavenly, and the Rosso di Montalcino is a perfectly wonderful less expensive red.
Buon viaggio!

Weadles Jun 5th, 2006 01:47 PM

guanciale,

Yes, I think I am referring to IL BOTTEGA in Volpaia. I will try to find the card that I got from them. We took our kids ( bit older than yours- 13 and 16 at the time) there, and really enjoyed our amazing lunch. I arranged it as part of a day trip with Luca of Hillsandroads.com, so he probably has the info if I don't.

As far as Radda goes, we stayed there at Relais Fattoria Vignale, which was a lovely small hotel overlooking the lush Tuscan countryside. There's a gorgeous swimming pool in back of the hotel, and unbelievable pizza down the street.

There's not much to do in Radda- it's maybe all of 3 streets, but it made a good base for exploring Siena and Florence ( both about 40 min. away).

I will warn you that our kids were generally bored to tears in Tuscany (except for our day trip to San Gimignano), but maybe you'll do fine since your kids are younger.

Weadles Jun 5th, 2006 01:51 PM

I found the card from LA BOTTEGA not IL BOTTEGA!

It says: LA BOTTEGA di Carli Barucci, Taverna Tipica, Piazza della Torre,2- Volpaia-radda in Chianti

Phone is:0577738001 Open for lunch and dinner, closed on Tuesdays.

Buon appetito!

guanciale Jun 6th, 2006 08:39 AM

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to trying at least one of these places. We had thought about visiting Montalcino on the day we head down to Rome, so this could be a great dining option! Thanks again.