Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkish Hotels--Do you get a better price if you use a travel agent?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a two-week trip to Turkey. We are well-traveled in Europe and always travel independently and rent a car. I usually make hotel reservations in advance via email and/or fax. Some guide books indicate that if you use a travel agent (in Turkey, I assume) you can get a better hotel rate. Also, that the same may be true for car rental (getting a better price if you use a travel agent.)Have folks found this to be true?

Our general thoughts at this point are 4 nights in Istanbul, fly to Cappadocia area and stay in one of the cave hotels for probably three nights, then fly to Antalya and work our way back to Istanbul (this part needs work I know!!) We would rent a car in Cappadocia and again in Antalya.

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I found this to be true. My husband and I went to Turkey in 2001 and used a travel agent. We definitely got somewhat better prices than we would've if we contacted the hotels on our own. Twice we got better rooms for the price we paid. Overall, I found it invaluable to have someone who I felt was working on my behalf. I also found that it was helpful to have someone help me develop the itinerary, although I did have a good idea of what I wanted. The feedback and suggestions made the trip topnotch.
Paule
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, progol. Any other thoughts??
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM

I found it to be true last summer. They got my domestic tickets cheaper, my international to Italy, and my car rental. I found out after the fact they probably could have gottem one of my hotels cheaper as well.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:37 AM

Depending on who you use you may get better deal. To get better rooms in some hotels! depens on when you book, how long, how you pay etc. most important, time of the year effect....
Some agents might know the hotel you wish to book insight out and get you the best room you can not get on your own or free upgrade and such..... Its good to know what you want and to get professional help might cut cost overall and you dont waste your time. One more idea; if you use a travel agency make sure they are reachable 7/24, not every agent will be offer this service but might make your life a lot easier ;-)
Happy Travelling

Murat
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:56 AM

Some agencies will get a discount/upgrades thanks to the volume of business they send to an establishment. This phenomenon has been in place between the cruise ship industry and agents for quite some time.