Kohan's trip #8

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kohan's trip #8

This is the follow-up to the topic"the countdown begins...I will continue with my story,BIll and I spent our first full day getting our metro passes refilled.I love that I can leave it in my case and just swipe it.Since we are doing several cooking classes this trip,we wanted to be sure where Reed and the bakery are located.Reed was a breeze to find,the bakery a little trickier,as we missed the turn the first time.Now we know we will be on time.Monday was a great day for walking,cloudy,then we had maybe 10 drops of rain.Voila,blue skies appeared.Had a croquet Monsieur and a croque Madame for Monsieur and Madame.Walked over to the Tuileries ,lots of people at the Lourve,most other places are closed Mondays.To b continued after class Tuesday..
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Well,this looks very promising. Keep cooking and keep writing! will be watching!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Up early and out to our cooking class at Reed.Met Penny from NC (her husband would join us for lunch) and another couple from CA and their 2 college age daughters.Catherine arrived at 9:30,what a sweetheart,promptly made us coffee,then went about getting her kitchen ready,while we all chatted.Then she showed us how do a few things and we were put to work.The first thing we learned to make were profiteroles,which would be filled with ice cream later,topped with a chocolate sauce.Catherine showed us how to remove the bone from the chicken leg and thigh,which would be stuffed with a mushroom mixture.(which we would be making)This meant chopping lots of shallots ,mushrooms and some garlic.Everyone got a turn at doing all the tasks,including washing some pots and pans.The chicken thighs were stuffed,then tied with some string,and roasted along with the rest of the chicken on the carcass.Potatoes were boiled,then smashed with some shallots and butter.Then we made a very easy hollandaise sauce( lots of butter) for the white asparagus that was our starter .We also had some bread still warm from the baker down the street and of course some wine,,all in all a great way to spend a rainy day in Paris.5 hours later we rolled out of there,Catherine is a gem.She answered lots of questions ,then had to get ready for the evening dinner crowd.Looking forward to going back nect week for dinner.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yea! Another trip report on Paris to take me away to my favorite place. Can't wait for more details.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Sounds great...my husband loves profiteroles. I am glad you found Catherine as great as we did. I hope her business is growing! Still dream about her risotto!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM

We also learned how to make profiteroles at Catherine's cooking class and will attempt to make them this week. We also enjoyed the cooking class very much and food was delish!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Could you tell us how much the class is?
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

$100.euros
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Wednesday
just had coffee and juice as we were going to our bakery class. As we were waiting we got to sample their pain au chocolate,and one of their specialties,they melt white chocolate and blend it in with the dough.OMG,it was so good,then a croissant of course.the owner,Benjamin took us downstairs where all the magic happens.He explained to us the process for making baguettes,how to measure the dough,roll them,etc,Then while they were baking,we started on croissants.He told us he is one of the few that make them from scratch ,others buy them frozen and just bake them.there is nothing like eating your own creations.We walked out of there carrying the fruits of our labor.Had to spend the rest of the day walking off some calories.Got back to the apartment just as the rain and thunder started.
Thursday
We could sleep in a little later today,as we didn't have to be anywhere til one.Then to the Ritz for yet another cooking clas.We did one here last year,and wanted to do another before they close for 2 years.In the kitchen with the head chef Jerome and his translator. We were making a salmon dish with couscous and vegetables. Everyone dons aprons and helps dice finely the cucumbers,tomatoes,peppers and shallots.there were 10 in all,some from Paris,vienna,Guatemala . After the meal is prepared,we serve it and eat in a small dining room.AThey provide wine ,water and bread. Coffee is served after with an assortment of their chocolates. Back upstairs to take a few pictures of the gorgeous flowers.
Before we went to the Ritz,we stopped at the Madeline church to pick up some rosaries,then to the Maille mustard shop.
After our lunch ,more walking.We stopped bynto see if we could make a lunch reservation at Spring for next week,and we could..
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM

You are cooking up a storm...I am too lazy to "work" on my vaca but your classes do sound good.
I should take a class to make better gougeres!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Well,the weather here this week has been cool,humid,sunny,rainy,cloudy,you name it.No cooking classes today,slept late,started out with my usual,pain au chocolate and coffee.Out we go to the Fashion show at Galleries Lafayette.My husband always enjoys seeing how hort the skirts are and how high the heels are.then we just walked wherever we felt like,stopping fort the occasional Sancerre or a glass of champagne.Had confit de canard for my dinner.Home early,right before the rain started
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

I meant how short the skirts are
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Guess what,the sun was out all day,beautiful blue skies,great day for walking..And did we ever walk. We took the metro to the Eiffel Tower.Lots of people there,families playing soccer and soaking up the sun.We did not need to go up ,as we have done that several times.We just meandered around,went by Invalides,and decided we could walk down to Notre Dame.Lots of people out on their bikes too. We stopped and had a cool drink at a cafe near the d'Orsay.Bill had a beer, I had a kir royale.We continued down along the quai,and got into the cathedral just as the archbishop was getting ready to start evening Mass.We didn't stay for the whole Mass,as we needed to find a place for dinner. We ended up having a delicious meal at le caveau de l'lsle.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 01:53 PM

Oooo...a glass of Sancerre sounds wonderful!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Started out today with some figs and melon from yesterday's trip to the market.Thunder and lots of rain during the night.Cloudy as we head out,no rain,mild,it actually felt a bit humid.We went to the Grand Palais and saw the exhibit going on now,very colorful..Walked around a bit,had lunch at Cafe Constant,more Sancerre.We both had the special ,caesar salad with a grilled shrimp and smoked salmon,followed by a chicken dish,stuffed with mushrooms,and sitting on a bed of mashed potatoes..We then took the Metro to the Sevres-Babylon area.I needed to pick up some medals at the Chapel of the Miraculous Medal.Very moving ..headed back,lots of police in the metro area today.Tonight we are going to the ballet at the Opera Garnier.I love that place..
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM

I love Opera Garnier...so gorgeous. Enjoy the ballet.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:19 AM

As always, I sigh for Italy and Paris....nice TR.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Aw..the Opera Garnier,just love that building. The ballet was la fille mal gardee.It was light,amusing(bill was worried he may fall asleep) and we enjoyed it. At the end ,after several rounds of applause,a very important gentleman came out to speak.The locals around us seemed to recognize him. I think he must be the president of the Opera. Garnier or someone very important. He made an announcement about the young female star. She was made star or prima ballerina , I am not sure, but everyone was so happy for her. She received a 10 minute standing ovation . She seemed very surprised when they announced it.Congratulations!
Tomorrow is our dinner at. Reed with. Lucien and. Marie,Thursday unch plans at. Spring..
Next week,back on the diet!!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Figs and melon for breakfast... you are making me jealous!
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

We,tonight was dinner at Reed.We met our friends there(Lucien and Marie).We started off with un coupe de champagne. Great start already. We had a 6:30 reservation,and after talking and catching up,we decided to order.Everyone had the pate de fois gras except me.I chose the mackerel rillettes,since I never had them before.They were delicious,topped with some nice greens and served with some toasted bread.The other 3 must have liked theirs,as all 3 plates were licked clean,For the main,I chose the silky risotto with morelles,Bill and Lucien both chose the beef cheeks ,( cooked for 5 hours in red wine).Marie had the lamb stew. I tasted the beef cheeks,as it something. I wouldn't normally order.That cow must have smiled a lot,I didn't expect them to be so thick,but they melted in your mouth. The restaurant only seats 20 ,and Catherine had to turn away at least 6-7 walk-ins.Catherine must have been happy to see our plates,nothing left on any of the 4. I am glad she is doing so well,she is a delight.She cooks,greets guests and serves.She does have a helper in the kitchen,thank goodness. Yes,of course we had to have dessert.I was full,but had a slice of lemon cheesecake,Bill had Boston cream pie,Lucien had a huge strawberry shortcake.All in all,a great evening with friends,delicious food. Go ,if you can get a reservation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -