Search

Turkey with teenager and 8yr old for 2 weeks in agt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey with teenager and 8yr old for 2 weeks in agt

Hi all,

We are planning a trip with the family . My family has two awesome kids with a 4 year age difference ... My eldest is 13 and the youngest is 8 . We are departing from Dallas -Tx on July 31st and Returning on Augt 17... so we have 2 full weeks .
Turkey is a dream trip for me - We want to take the old with the knew... ride the balloons and relax too
My kids are well behaved , my husband wants 4 days to put his feet in the sand and do nothing at all

So I am asking for help - Instanbul 5 days ---- what to do and what to miss.... any day trips
cappadocia for sure .3 days enough?.... How many days and what to do?
what beach.... 4 days
is there another city worth to go .....

I know is very open question but please help me

thanks
caty
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:23 PM
kja

Turkey can be delightful, IMO! And IMO, 5 days is reasonable for Istanbul and 3 days is reasonable for Cappadocia. You have a TON of options for other places to visit -- you might want to consult a good guidebook or two!

Here's a link to an excellent thread from our resident expert on Turkey:
Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler

And here's a link to my old, but potentially useful, trip report:
Some Observations on a Fantastic Journey through Western Turkey

Enjoy!
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you... If anything where else would you go.... Hubby has his heart set for bodum (sand and sea for 4days)
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 07:01 PM
kja

If I wanted sand and sea, I wouldn't go to Bodrum, I'd go to somewhere along the southern coast west of Antalya - but to each his/her own!
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bodrum can be very hot in August. It will also be rather crowded.
It is a party location rather than one for family with kids.

Further South will be even hotter, except for Datca peninsula which has some good beach reasorts, great scenery but not much else except for Knidos, an OK ancient site, excellent thyme honey and honeydew and almonds.

If you find a hotel or holiday village that strikes your fancy, Kusadasi is a good idea, as long as you stay out of the city, because it will also allow you to visit some significant antique sites like Ephesus, Priene et.al. The region North of the city gets cooling winds and also has decent beaches. There is also a water park near Kusadasi for the kids with some large slides. If your interests lie in nature treks, you can arrange a hike in Dilek Park which has large number of endemic fauna and flora.and a natural science museum at Dogan Bey village, South of the Park. (need to arrange for the hike in advance. You can take one from the North entrance or the South)

Further North is Cesme-Ilica-Alacati area. A bit posh, some good beach resorts including a decent Sheraton. Nothing much to visit nearby.

In all cases, you would do well to rent car. Driving in and around Bodrum and Cesme would be the tough, Kusadasi will be easier and more rewarding.
If you fly Atlas air to Izmir airport for Kusadasi, they provide transfer to Selcuk and maybe even to Kusadasi and then you may wish to hire car only on the days you will sightsee rather than having a car sitting idle for some days. All resorts can arrange daily car rentals.

here is one of my historic trip reports which may give you a sense of what it is like to travel in Turkey :
Fabulous Family Fearlesly Meet Lykians (reprint of 2010 trip)
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
here's the ultra all inclusive resort which also houses the water park : Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & Spa
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:09 PM
kja

Listen to otherchelebi's excellent advice, not mine!