Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

TURKEY-where did you stay in Istanbul?Anyone familar with the following:Hotel Spectra ;Sarnic Hotel ; Best Western Acropol or Hilton in Taksim Square?

TURKEY-where did you stay in Istanbul?Anyone familar with the following:Hotel Spectra ;Sarnic Hotel ; Best Western Acropol or Hilton in Taksim Square?

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Debbie

We are planning a very last minute trip to Turkey(primarily Istanbul) and would appreciate if anyone has stayed at any of the above hotels for a recommendation? We thought that it would be nicer and easier to stay in the old city area but is Taksim area better? Too noisey? We can deal with the obnoxious carpet guys(I think?) but if it is extremely noisy-please advise. Also,our family keeps reading in tour books about being very careful about eating vegetables,drinking water,etc. for fear of bad diarhea. Suggestions for any medicines that we should pack just in case? Thank you very much for your help-Debbie

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Paige

I recommend staying in the Sultanahmet area. It's quiet and very personable. Taksim seemed like a busy shopping/business area. I ate anything and everything there (I'm a vegetarian) and didn't get sick. I brushed my teeth with tap water but bought bottled water to drink. When I do get stomach muck, over the counter Immodium seems to get rid of it pretty quick.

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Diana

Istambul is wonderful! We stayed at the Citidal facing the sea in the old city. We were on the main road to the airport in the front and the noise was not a problem. I can't tell you about the other hotels. I want to suggest you talk to your Doctor about an broud spectrum antibotic you can take with you in case you get diarrea. I would not skip the salads and fruits served in good cafes. They are great. Imodium is also something to have on hand. Bottoled water only!

Mar 14th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Debbie

Thanks for the tips!If you were to do a couple "daytrips" out of Istanbul-where would you go? Car or by bus? The more I try to research-the more I am overwhlemed! Thanks-Debbie

Mar 14th, 2001, 12:08 PM
skot

we stayed in the Sultanahmet and when,not if, We go back we will stay there again.The Konuk Evi was wonderful,next to the Topki Palace.very reasonable and we had a wonderful room.It is part of the Ayasofya pansiyonlari its the small garden hotel
Email [email protected]
ph212 513 3660 fax 212 513 3639
we had no problems with intestinal bugs but did drink bottle water.
make sure you take a trip on the Bosphorus

Mar 14th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Ann

We asked my husband's Turkish colleague to recommend a hotel, which would be very comfortable without being characterless, when we visited Istanbul. He suggested the Marmara in Taksim Square. We had a lovely time. There is a panoramic restaurant, a brasserie and a cafe with a view over the square. We used the cafe often for lunches because you could have either a very light snack or a more substantial meal. We did not notice it being noisy.

We had no trouble with upset stomachs.

We were there just for a week and only did one day trip - in a boat on the Bosphorus, stopping off here and there. We found plenty to see and do in Istanbul. A fascinating place.