Turkey Weather in Early/Mid May

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey Weather in Early/Mid May

Hi - We will be in Turkey from May 8-22 and were wondering what the weather will be like at the time. I did check wunderground, weather.com,etc and for the most part it shows that it will be highs of 70s and lows of 50s. But is anyone there right now that can confirm that this is correct. I was reading a post on here where someone said it was 100 degrees in istanbul but all the websites were saying it was only 75-ish.

Also, in terms of packing are certain parts of Turkey going to be cooler? Would we need to pack a light jacket? Places we will be visiting are: Istanbul, Canakkale, Izmir, Cappadocia, Antalya and Ankara. Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM

Turkey is a large country with 5 distinct climatic zones. So temperatures vary a lot depending on the time of the year and the region of Turkey you are traveling. For practicality, here is what the weather look like and probable temperatures in the places you will be traveling between 8-22 May. (Sorry for temperatures given in centigrade, please convert them to Fahrenheit)

Istanbul-Canakkale (Marmara Region): 23-25 C during the day with a lot of sunshine and coolish (15-18 C) at nights with a gentle breeze. You will need a kind of cardigan or a sweater type thing at night.

Cappadocia-Ankara (Central Anatolia Region): 22-24 C during the day with a lot of sunshine and cool(12-15 C) at nights. You will need a warmer clothing at night. There are of course exceptions. It is almost 30-31 C in Ankara at the moment.

Ýzmir-Antalya (Aegean & Mediterranean Regions): 25-28 C during the day with a lot of sunshine and warm(20-22 C) at nights.

And finally, do pack a light jacket for Ankara and Cappadocia nights.

I hope this piece of information helps.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:11 AM

check out ;

http://hava.superonline.com/

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Turkey.htm

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0141

for the 7 or 8 day weather report..I find these sites the most acurrate...

Also ANATOLIANCRUISER...has given you the best advise...
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. ANATOLIANCRUISER - thank you so much for the detailed response. This helps a great deal to pack and be prepared for the cooler nights - esp. since I tend to get cold very easily. As you mentioned - it will be sunny during the days. Is the sun harsh enough to need heavy sun block?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM

AnatolianCruiser, you are always so helpful, could you do something about the cold and rainy conditions expected this weekend in Istanbul, haha!
Luckily I will be visiting museums because it looks terrible!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM

Dear Luvtravelin,

I have always been in good terms with the "Weather God of Hatti-Tarhunna" and I always carry the sunshine in my pocket when I travel. Although weather forecast is for heavy showers at the weekend in Istanbul, I will arrange a sunny photo break (just for 15 minutes) for you when you stand at the northern platform of the Topkapi Palace overlooking the Marmara Sea, the Golden Horn and the Bosphorus.

Enjoy your tour in Istanbul and do find time to visit the Archaeological Museum just for the unbelievably well preserved Sarcophagus of Alexander and beautiful Roman statues on the first floor.

With all good wishes.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the laugh--I will try to keep that attitude in the rain, luckily I am a history buff! And I will hold you to that 15 minutes of sun
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM

Sorry for mixing the messages of "luvtravelin" and "yorkshire".

For Yorkshire:

Your sunny break is promoted to 30 minutes due to your kindness and good attitude.

For Luvtravelin:

Previously given information on weather between 8-22 May is still valid. I guarantee minimum 12 days of sunshine for you. You may have a short rainy surprise in Ýstanbul or in Çanakkale. You will definitely need a light jacket on the ferry between Eceabat and Çanakkale, during the Bosphorus cruise and also at nights in Cappadocia and Ankara. Don't forget to pack your swimwear for Antalya.

With all good wishes.