Search

Driver & Car Salerno to Amalfi Town OR Bus, my Plan B

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver & Car Salerno to Amalfi Town OR Bus, my Plan B

Hi Italy experts and Fodorites,
My planned route is train from Rome to Salerno. Then private driver and car to Amalfi village.
Ferry and sea transportation is out of the question. My trip companion is against ferries while nursing jet-lag.

Do you know any reliable private car shuttle service from Salerno to Amalfi? In this forums, most mentions are about car services from Naples (not Salerno) to Positano or Amalfi Coast because most of these companies are based in Sorrento.

If I can't find a private car/driver service, my undesirable Plan B is bus from Salerno train station to Amalfi. We will have each have a small standard flight carry-on size luggage with wheels, about 20-inches, and a small bag. How difficult will this be on the bus? I understand that this is starting point of the bus service, so there will be seats for 2 people.

I really prefer a pre-arranged car service with driver. Not too keen on getting a taxi to Amalfi upon arrival at Salerno station. A dishonest taxi driver may give us the roundabout route. If we indeed up taking a taxi, how much is the cost more or less? Are taxis agreeable to take passengers from Salerno to Amalfi village? Grazie.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 05:53 PM
kja

"A dishonest taxi driver may give us the roundabout route."

I could be wrong, but I think there's really only route -- the road along the coast.

Sorry, but I can't answer any of your other questions.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 08:35 PM

I was very pleased with the service I received from Ugo at Sorrento Cars, www.sorrentocars.com, for transfer from Fiumicino to Sorrento, Sorrento to Amalfi, and Amalfi to Paestum. The rate from Amalfi to Paestum was €100, the least expensive rate I was quoted by several agencies.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 08:52 PM
kja

"The rate from Amalfi to Paestum was €100"

To get from Amalfi to Paestum, another potentially much more affordable option would be bus or ferry from Amalfi to Salerno and then train to Paestum.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 02:20 AM

A ferry might actually be more relaxing, given jet lag, than a car or bus. The coastal road, which is the only land access to Amalfi from Salerno, hugs the cliffs and is very very curvy.

It's easy to take the train from Salerno to Paestum. We did the trip in reverse: traveling by train from Naples to Paestum, we stayed overnight, then took the train to Salerno.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 03:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We will have each have a small standard flight carry-on size luggage with wheels, about 20-inches, and a small bag. How difficult will this be on the bus?<<<

You simply put your luggage in the bin under the bus and get it out in Amalfi (the bus will pull into a parking lot there and stop). If you were getting off elsewhere, you would need to remind the driver to wait while you retrieve your luggage.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 03:48 AM

I can recommend Benvenuto Limousines, but you can also find all kinds of recommendations on Tripadvisor or in guidebooks, or ask your hotel. All of them should be willing to give you a quote. You won't be going by the meter.

Personally, nursing or not, I would probably kill somebody who tried to put me on a bus along the Amalfi Drive jet lagged. Although the road between Salerrno and Amalfi is not the twistiest part of the road, it is twisty enough --and often crowded enough -- to be something I would want to avoid, even if it meant I ate sandwiches for the rest of the trip to afford the car service.

The drivers who make a living transporting tourists around the Amalfi are lifelong professionals. Many of the car service companies are family run. They have excellent, clean vehicles. It is a very nice experience to be in their care, and many speak good English and enjoy telling you about the history of the area and giving you travel trips. Or they will let you snooze. They will also pull over to the of the road if you feel nauseous. Worth every penny.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 10:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've always found ferries more of a problem than any bus if you are talking about motion sickness.

You didn't say what time of year, but depending on season, ferries can be a bit rough. In high season, with a lot of traffic, it's not like buses will be going all that fast anyway. I guess if your companion has an inner ear problem, a really sensitive stomach or something it might bother them.

I've taken this bus numerous times and find it much less crowded Salerno/Amalfi than buses from Sorrento to Positano/Amalfi. I've always gotten a seat without problem too on the Salerno/Amalfi leg.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information you all took the time to add here. I will have to do more research on private car drivers on the Salerno to Amalfi village route. I saw some listings on tripadvisor.

I'm totally against the bus. Bus is Plan B or D. There may have been instances when a pre-arranged driver doesn't show up due to his or her own family emergency. Now I know what to expect regarding buses, just in case.

I posted this topic hoping to see the reliable recommendations of Fodorites who have used such private car and driver services in the Salerno to Amalfi route.