Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-recommendations-867577/)

librarychica85 Nov 23rd, 2010 06:38 AM

Turkey recommendations

Hello,

Doing some research into a possible trip next year to Turkey (most likely in mid-September). We'll definitely be visiting Istanbul as neither of us have been before but am looking for suggestions/recommendations on a second spot. I have looked into the central Aegan Sea area-Bodrum, Selcuk, specifically to visit Ephesus, have some relaxing down time/swimming, etc. But I also have interest in going to Cappodocia. The problem with that is when researching flights, besides flying at very off-peak times, there don't seem to be that many/they're rather pricey. This wouldn't be a budget trip but am interested in keeping costs lower rather than higher.

Our tastes/criteria are history, gorgeous scenery, relatively easy/direct to get to without paying an arm and a leg to do so. Also, hotels rec would be appreciated too!

Any recommendations, tips, hints, would be most appreciated.
TIA!

Michael Nov 23rd, 2010 08:36 AM

You might want to read my trip report which covers Istanbul, Ephesus and Cappadocia. Just click on my name to find it.

otherchelebi Nov 23rd, 2010 10:48 AM

The local flights in turkey are much cheaper than you would think.

Check the web sites of THY, Anadolu Jet, Pegasus, Atlas jet, Sunexpress for prices.

tickets, if bought rather early will start at about $35 or so plus taxes and fees.

please check the trip reports of Aduchamp1, Fra Diavola, tom and Kathy, Michel_Paris, Ellen, Luisah, and others.

(do not look for a trip report by Colduphere, because he is very lazy and refuses to write longer than a few sentences at a time)

My trip reports (usually on the Lounge)do not guide much and were written for fun reading and so probably will not help you much.

Michel_Paris Nov 23rd, 2010 12:25 PM

Other is the golden guide for Turkey, I've saved many of his tips in anticipation of another trip :)

So, with my little knowledge...

Our trip covered Istanbul, Ankara, Cappadocia, Antalya, along the coast to Kas, Ephesus and then back to Istanbul. We drove, and spent abut 12 days doing the above route. Our trip was during August.

What amount of time do you have?

My ideal trip would be:

Istanbul
Fly to Cappadocia
Goreme (we stayed there, look at a cave hotel)
Open Air Museum
Ilhara Valley hike
Underground City(ies)
Hot Air Balloon Flight

Fly to Antalya (or drive, but it is a long drive)

Old town of Antalya
Beaches of Antalya (we used Sheraton's private beach, noting that beaches are not sand, but stones)

Drive to Kas. Spectacular road along Med, with views. Olympos visit? . Kas is a small fishing village, very scenic and relaxing.
Glass bottom boat tour of Lycean ruins, including ocean swim stops.
Eating seafood dinner on balcony overlooking Med

We drove to Marmaris and spent night there. It is a busy city, but it was a good place to stay. Stopped at Fethiye along the way, as well as our 'secret beach' just west of Kas.

Drive to Ephesus, spend as much of day there and in area. Part of next day. We only spent ~half day at the main site. More time there, as well as the museum and other sites would have been ideal.

From here, we headed to Bursa and a ferry back to Istanbul. You might want to head to Izmir for beach life

If time is an issue, you could replace driving with flights , then rent a car as needed.

librarychica85 Nov 24th, 2010 02:40 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions/pointing me to specific persons' trip reports. I look forward to reading them and doing more research when I'm off.

Michel-We'd have just under 10 days, give or take a day or two.

Thanks again!

Aduchamp1 Nov 24th, 2010 02:44 AM

We just did a similiar trip as Other noted. We used a combination of driving and flying. Pegasus was very cheap but reliable, even though we paid extra for some standard baggage and Turkish Air was very comfortable and affordable.