Turkey - Pregnant?

Feb 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Turkey - Pregnant?

My husband and I are trying to plan one last vacation before baby comes. We are considering going to Turkey for about 8 days, when I'm around 28 weeks. Has anyone traveled in Turkey pregnant? My main concerns are dietary -- are most dairy products pasturized, is tap water ok to drink, etc? Thanks in advance!
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM

In turkey,

You can get pasteurized milk, yoghurt and butter at supermarkets and grocery stores, bu i do not know about cheese.

tap water contains too much chlorine and is not recommended for drinking, but perfectly safe for washing and brushing teeth. You can get very good quality bottled water of many different sizes averywhere you go.

you can get organic products at most supermarkets, including eggs. there are many other products without additives, such as tomato paste.

Fruit and vegetables should be washed extra carefully, if not organic, because they may carry some pesticide or insecticide residues.

Only eat sea bass or sea bream, for fish, because they are hygienically farmed and prepared, and usually kept frozen. The taste may not be as good as free roaming fish, but it is safer.

My advice as a lecturer in "Risk", is to go to istanbul, or somewhere close to a largish city, where there are good medical facilities, good apartments where you can DIY, good and very hygienic restaurants, many of which will go out of their ways to provide any dietery requirements you have, and fun places to visit nearby without much internal traveling.
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Hello, I am from Turkey and I can say that most products sold in the markets (bottled milk, cheese in the little containers etc.) are pasteurized. Look for the labels saying "pastorize" in Turkish to make sure.

I don't know which city you go, but I don't recommend drinking tap water especially in Istanbul.

Cheers...
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Have you checked with your doctor - and the airline - about your plan. Airlines have different rules about pregnancy - and depending on how large you're carrying they may require an MDs note to let you on the plane - or may not let you on at all. (A coworker of mine was refused even though she wasn't that far along - but she was petite and looked farther along than she was).

Search this Thread