Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey/Lycian Coast or Western Black Sea? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-lycian-coast-or-western-black-sea-858480/)

suffrock Sep 8th, 2010 10:36 AM

Turkey/Lycian Coast or Western Black Sea?

We're trying to hammer out a driving itinerary in Turkey for next summer. For background, we're a family of 4 (kids will be 17 & 15 next summer). We've taken driving vacations all throughout Europe and prefer getting back into the countryside for natural beauty as well as local flavor. We like good food, hiking, and would like to explore some ancient sites that are off the tourist track. My husband travels for a living and would prefer not to spend more than 4-5 hours per day behind the wheel. Rental cars in Turkey seem to be pretty pricey, unless you pick up & return to the same location. By renting in & out of Istanbul, we can save literally hundreds of dollars. So we're looking at doing a loop out of Istanbul, down the Aegean, along the southern coast, then back up towards Istanbul. I think we're going to leave Cappadoccia and points east off our itinerary for this trip (I know, crazy) because our time just won't allow us going that far afield. I'm having trouble squeezing in everything on our list, so we're looking at eliminating either the Lycian coast or the Western Black Sea. My husband is interested in the Lycian coast because he read a magazine article and saw some pretty pictures. The Black Sea, though, is really calling to me. I'd love to hear some feedback from the experts on the pros and cons of these two destinations. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Michel_Paris Sep 8th, 2010 10:41 AM

We drove form Istanbul to Ankara, Cappadocia, Antalya, Kas, marmaris then to Bursa and ferry back to Istanbul.

We stayed near the Black sea, but never went off in that direction.

There are some stunning views along Turqoise coast, and some nice places to stay. Along here there are lots of historic sites to visit (Ephesus being the obvious choice).

otherchelebi Sep 8th, 2010 11:23 AM

Hello suffrock,

the Lycian way is more grand and has the ancient sites. There are higher and younger mountains and evergreens. The area is generally much warmer, very humid on the coast in the Summer.

the western black sea has simpler hikes, greener and wetter with older and not so high mountains. There are some handicrafts, 100-250 year old wooden houses, more local colour, few tourists. Please read my trip report.

If you are visiting in July and/or August and if you are already doing the Aegean where you will see enough antique sites, i would recommend the Black Sea to escape the heat and chill out, as well as seeing the true Anatolian way of life away from tourists. (do not stay at Safranbolu)

You should however realize that the accommodation on the Black Sea coast is rather simple and sparse. It means that you should reserve your rooms early. Whereas,, on the Lycian way, you can always find some place to spend the night, thus traveling with greater flexibility.

Please also check some of my suggested itineraries on earlier threads for driving from Istanbul down South through canakkale, assos, pergamom.........

If you combine part of this with the Black Sea, you can add other interesting locations such as Iznik/Nicea, Aizanoi, Mudurnu, Abant, etc. thus doing a tour not many have done so far.

suffrock Sep 8th, 2010 03:00 PM

Trust me, otherchelebi, I have poached bits of your recommended itineraries already! Thanks for the info.

NanBug Sep 8th, 2010 03:08 PM

I loved the Lycian coast of Turkey. We were in Turkey for 3 weeks and never made it to Cappadocia, either. I'm dying to go back and see it, though.

Turkey is my favorite place to visit. Ever. Loved the country, the archaeological sites, the architecture, the art, culture, kilims, music...and of course, the people. Can't wait to go back.

tr_ebo Sep 9th, 2010 05:42 AM

9+1 2 air-conditioned, very comfortable large, starex crdi van I have, I know all turkey (I am turkish) nearly 20 years experience, all I want where in turkey u want see I can do nice plan your trip,European countries, including.
contact me please .