Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey Itinerary-Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-itinerary-help-224743/)

prot May 24th, 2002 01:57 PM

Turkey Itinerary-Help!

I've read so much about Turkey and plan on taking a 2 week trip. I know I will definately go to Istanbul and Cappadocia. I also want to go to one other place that has beautful beach scenery ands lots of restaurants and shopping etc. Where should I go, Antalya, Side, Kas, Feithy etc. etc. I just can't decide. Can anyone give me suggestions.

abc May 24th, 2002 02:35 PM

Hey PROT,<BR><BR>First you have to decide where you go becasuse Turkey has full of everything every each square of inch has history and arheology and also beauty. If this trip will be your first time visit Istanbul,Cappadocia then go to Antalya after you can visit every each small town on the shore until Kusadasi then you can back to your home.<BR>You can not see the whole beuty of Turkey in 2 weeks so I am sure than you will go back and back again<BR><BR>ABC

brownie May 24th, 2002 03:02 PM

We stayed in Olimpos and Kas - as well as Antalya. If you're taking the bus from Cappadocia, then you will have to go through Antalya to get to Kas etc. It won't be a bad idea to break your journey in Antalya. <BR><BR>I loved Olimpos ... it was idyllic with sandy beaches, lagoon ... it's a natural reserve so no one is allowed to build any permanent structures (ie. no foundations). Consequently most accomodation there is in tree houses... yes, some places do have hammocks in trees.. but it is usually in a little basic hut.<BR><BR>Kas is a nice town and from there, there are plenty of sights. My disappointment (as little as it may be) was that the beaches were quite rocky. We did manage to rent a fisherman and his boat and he took us around for quite a few hours which was very nice. We did some snorkelling from his boat.<BR><BR>If you have any queries, send me an e-mail though I will be away for two weeks.

Susan May 24th, 2002 07:12 PM

We only had a week in Turkey. We had taken the ferry from Rhodes, so landed in Marmaris, and took a bus to Fethiye for a couple of nights and then to Kalkan. On our way back to Marmaris, we stopped in Olu Deniz for a night. Kalkan is only a 1/2 hour or so from Kas, but I thought it was much prettier than Kas. It's true that the beach was rocky, but we went to Patara one day and that was quite amazing. I really enjoyed Kalkan - nice restaurants, shops, etc. We also used the facilities at Club Patara, which is an expensive hotel complex across the bay from Kalkan. Beautiful pool, platforms over the sea, really lovely. <BR><BR>Next trip to Turkey (and we'll definitely go back), we'll be going to Istanbul and Cappadocia. It's a wonderful country to visit.

isa May 25th, 2002 12:04 AM

After Cappadocia, Antalya area suits best to your plans : beaches, restaurants, shopping, historical sites and natural parks...For shopping, you could also go to Kemer.<BR><BR>Isabelle<BR>http://davrazia.free.fr

murat May 26th, 2002 05:18 AM

Hi Prot,<BR><BR>2 weeks is ideal to start with but not enough to see all as mentioned. So you can prepare your itinerary efficiently to cover main areas first.<BR><BR>I used to live in Kalkan 220 Kms. south west of Antalya and 3 hours drive by car. Now I live in Cappadocia.<BR>Better to start with istanbul, continue to Cappadocia and go down to south to relax. If you cover Antalya first then base in Kalkan you may as well see some interesting sites with daily trips; like- Kekova ( sunken city ) Myra and St. Nicholas Church, Patara and the Patara Beach, Xanthos, Letoon and Pinara.2 days would be enough for both and you would still have time to relax in the late afternoon.<BR><BR>You can fly back to istanbul from Dalaman. &Yacute;stanbul to Kaseri and Dalaman to istanbul better use Turkish Airlines and book them in Turkey to be cost effective. Rest you can decide either hire a car, or intercity buses or arrange a private guide with a car.<BR><BR>As mentioned Olympos is very nice too. There is a luxuary accomodation possiblity too if not perefered tree houses. <BR><BR>You may also add Ephesus in the itenerary if you want to.<BR><BR>Good Luck and have great fun in Turkey

Bilp May 27th, 2002 10:13 PM

Kas is a really nice place and not far from Antalya.

Debbie May 28th, 2002 01:22 AM

Question about getting to cappadocia, do you fly in? and how expensive is that flight? also what airport do you fly into. Thanks!

abc May 28th, 2002 05:44 AM

TO:Debbie ([email protected]<BR><BR>There is only Turksih Airline in Turkey as Domestic flight and price is not expensive From Istanbul to Kayseri around $90<BR>Have a nice flight<BR><BR>ABC

carol May 28th, 2002 09:15 AM

For a 2 week trip you should be able to get in the highlights. I would recommend no less than 4 days in Istanbul and 3 days in Cappadocia. We were there last May for a week and a half after the same time in Greece.<BR><BR>We also started in Marmaris, flew to Istanbul from Dalaman, and flew to Kayseri and back from Istanbul. The airfares are cheap, but you have to add on transfers. A year ago it was 20M lira a person for transfer from Kayseri to Urgup, and the same for the bus from Marmaris to Dalaman. For a short trip, though, it saves a lot of time.<BR><BR>We were not into ruins so skipped Ephesus. If I were to go back, I would also go to Antalya.

carol May 28th, 2002 09:17 AM

Another thing, Turkish airlines is a nice airline. I have travelled extensively on small airlines, and a bit on larger ones, and it is at least as nice as travelling on Northwest.