Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey in the Straw: Thingorjus sleeps in Istanbul (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-in-the-straw-thingorjus-sleeps-in-istanbul-548214/)

ThinGorjus Jul 31st, 2005 05:26 PM

Turkey in the Straw: Thingorjus sleeps in Istanbul

THE RITZ CARLTON ISTANBUL

We really enjoyed our stay at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Istanbul, even though the location is a bit daft. The hotel is in the Taksim section of the city, on a hill surrounded by a highway. Crossing the street is a major hassle and can be quite dangerous. I assume the people at Ritz thought that everyone would take a Mercedes taxi upon leaving and returning to the hotel, but I think it is ridiculous to get a cab to go two blocks (the Dolmabache Palace is only two blocks, as is Taksim Square).

The service at the hotel was uneven. The cabana boys were fabulous. They sprinted across the pool area to fetch a towel or pick up an empty Champagne bottle. However, the doormen liked to stand around chatting whilst we were left to open our own doors. The security at the Ritz, and all the other big hotel chains around Taksim, was very tight. You had to pass through metal detector and have your bags scanned to enter the hotel. Muffy said to one security guard, “It is quite ironic that you run to scan my purse, but you can’t seem to hold a door open for a lady with packages.” What is also annoying about the Ritz is that you have to put your room card-key into a slot on the elevator to go to your floor. This may not sound like much, but when six people get on the elevator in the lobby, everyone fights to put their card in first. If you are last, you must go to all the other floors first before you get can off on your floor. This is one of the DAFTEST things ever thought up.

The décor of the hotel was beautiful. The rooms were spacious, the bathrooms divine. I called the beds “sleeping pills” because once you got into bed you immediately feel asleep. If I had one of these beds at home, Eli Lilly would be forced into bankruptcy.

The pool area was very nice, but the lounge chairs looked rather worn. The pool was small--the front desk clerk said that the regular pool (indoor) was being refurbished. There were also two hot tubs, which Muffy and mother adored. The strange thing about the pool area, however, is that we noticed a lot of OLDER MEN with VERY YOUNG women. Muffy said that she thought the women were high-paid hookers, and that she was an expert on such a thing because she is the cousin of the Mayflower Madam. Some of the women were tottering around on impossibly high heels, wearing string bikinis and Chanel sunglasses. (Muffy wore a one-piece from the sporting-goods department of Walgreen’s. She carried around her cigarettes in a Fortuny evening bag that once belonged to her grandmother, the former bridge partner of Truman Capote.)

GRAND BAZAAR

We took a trip to the Grand Bazaar, but were very put out by it all. WORD OF ADVICE: if you are going to the Grand Bazaar, wear your rattiest clothing and take off all or your jewelry. Once the shop owners see that maybe you have some money, they go after you like a wolf on a day-old lamb. We would tell the sellers what we were looking for, price and all, yet they kept showing us the most expensive merchandise. I would tell a seller that I wanted a $20 pashmina shawl, yet I would be shown something that cost $200. ANOTHER WORD OF ADVICE: if you are a woman with a man, the dealers will always talk to the man. Muffy and my mother would ask to see something, yet the dealers would look at Keith or me to ask our approval. My mother did NOT like this at all. She told one shopkeeper that she had her own money and her own credit cards, that he need not look to her son for payment. We did come away with a few cheap tiles (about $2 each) and a $20 pashmina (finally!) for a friend.

SPICE BAZAAR

Same as Grand Bazaar, but smaller. The dealers here are WORSE, however. Some shopkeepers became irate because we didn’t talk to them. One said, “What are you looking for? If you don’t want to buy, why are you here?” Muffy replied, “We came for some tennis balls. Do you have any? No? Then shut up.” Good for a photo op.

BLUE MOSQUE

You have to take your shoes off to go inside, putting them in a plastic bag that is provided. Hence, the whole place smells like feet. The floor is carpeted with a million carpets. Keith, Muffy, and my mother walked around with scarves wrapped around their heads. Muffy actually said, “Do you see any ashtrays?”
It was like being at Disney World with unruly children.

SAINT SOPHIA

Huge and atmospheric, there is not much inside. There are two remnants of mosaics on the second floor, right wing. On the way out of the building, look up and you will see a fantastic mosaic above the doorway.

TOPKAPI PALACE

This place was fabulous. The Harem was the best part (you have to stand in a separate line inside the gates to get admission tickets), with rooms covered in Iznik tiles (if only I could afford to cover my kitchen with these tiles). You could spend half a day here looking at all that is on display, from cooking utensils to a jewel-encrusted cradle. They even had a footprint that is supposed to have belonged to Mohammed, and the skull of John the Baptist. There is a restaurant/cafeteria on the premises that is somewhat pricey. A can of coke was about $3. Muffy complained to the manager and told him that in America he would be boycotted. We also met a nice Iraqi lady from Baghdad at the café. We had a discussion about the war and President Bush. You can also exchange money at cambio at the café, and at the post office that is next to the ticket office.

Side note: it is very difficult to exchange money in Sultanahmet. There were no cambios around. You either had to change money at the post office or a bank on Divanyolu Caddesi. There are no banks in the touristy Sultanahmet section. In Beygolu, you can find many cambios on Istiklal Caddesi. The good hotels (Ritz, Divan, Hyatt, Inter-continental, etc.) will also change money for you. You also must understand that many of the carpet/souvenir shops in Sultanahmet will not take a credit card. Neither will some of the smaller restaurants, especially on Aksikyik Caddesi, which we called “Backpacker Street” because of all the youth hostels.

DOLMBAHCE PALACE

This is one of my favourite places in Istanbul. It is a 19th century palace built by Sultan Abdul Mecit. It was built by an Armenian architect, so it is symmetrical in design. I liked it because all of the furnishings were on display in the rooms, as opposed to being in vitrines like the Topkapi Palace. The crystal chandeliers were unbelievable, especially the one made by Waterford. (Some of you know how my mother feels about crystal chandeliers.) Ataturk’s simple bedroom was on display and was in sharp contrast to the otherwise opulence of the palace. The Harem can also be visited—you need a separate ticket for entrance. English-speaking tours are every 35 minutes. PLEASE BE AT THE PALACE BY 10 AM, otherwise you will stand in line for tickets and tour for HOURS.

ISTIKLAL CADDESI

This is the Champs Elysee of Istanbul. Lots of shops, restaurants, cambios, cafes, people. There is a nice store that sells beautiful glasswear called Pasabahce on this street. Ozsut Café, with the best tiramisu and cappuccino is also here. You will also find Cicek Passage here, where there are many restaurants. We did not eat here, however, because my mother did not like the smell coming from the nearby fish and vegetable stands. My mother is rather posh.  This is also a great place to find the same type of souvenirs that you would find at Grand Bazaar, but WITHOUT the hassles.

CHORA

A small gem of a museum that used to be a Byzantine church, now a mosque. Beautiful, important mosaics from the 14th century depicting the life of Christ. Off of the beaten path, but well worth the effort to get here. We took a guided tour that also included a boat trip on the Bosphorus. The famous Asitane restaurant is next door.

Observations

We did not like Sultanahmet. We much preferred staying in Beygolu/Taksim area. Sultanahmet was too touristy, too much of a hassle dealing with carpet dealers chasing us down the street. Don’t stay in Sultanahmet if you are going to Istanbul. Stay in Beygolu and take a taxi to see the main sites (Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, and St. Sophia) of Sultanahmet. Cabs are very cheap, maybe $6 to go from Taksim to Topkapi Palace. You don’t get hassled in Beygolu, nobody haggles over the price of something. Everyone takes credit cards. It is like being in New York or Paris. Being in Sultanahmet is like being at Disney World.

elaine Jul 31st, 2005 06:25 PM

What a wonderful introduction to Istanbul. I absolutely want to go now, even more than before. Sign me up.

alya Jul 31st, 2005 07:31 PM

Hi Thin,

Muffy sounds like a wonderful traveling companion :-) I'd travel with her anytime.

We stayed in Cesme in 2000 and I would absolutely agree that everywhere we went the salesmen talked purely to my husband until I said "I'm not buying from your shop until you can talk can to me" the next night they were better but just barely polite.

The best trip was when we did the cruise to Donkey Island on a Sunday and we were the only non-Turks on board. It was easy to feel like a zoo exhibit because anyone with the smallest knowledge of English wanted to talk to us, they were so friendly and warm.

Embarassing though, since the owner brought over a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses - everyone else had a plastic cup of wine with lunch.

You seem to have had a wonderful time. Welcome back!

Michael Jul 31st, 2005 07:45 PM

You write of cambios. Are there ATMs available?

Seamus Jul 31st, 2005 08:00 PM

Ah, the rapier wit and bang on insights that fill your report make we want to rush right back.
Agree about staying in Taksim area and visiting Sultanahmet, though it doesn't really comport well with my innate old hippie persona.
Tant pis about Mama's olfactory resistance to Cicek Passage - the restaurants are actually reached by going through the fishmonger area and around making two turns, to an area with no hint of their goods wafting. Eh, next time...

AP6380 Aug 1st, 2005 02:03 AM

Welcome back, your report is very entertaining to read!!!

Now if only I could finish mine.......

SusanP Aug 1st, 2005 07:32 AM

Great report, John. This would save anyone going to Istanbul a lot of research. Muffy sounds like a lot of fun to have along!

monicapileggi Aug 1st, 2005 07:53 AM

Great report! I've been to Istanbul before and am heading back again next June.

Monica ((F))

TexasAggie Aug 1st, 2005 07:59 AM

Fabulous, exactly what I was expecting from you Thin. Any restaurants you can recommend?

Where are you headed next?

TexasAggie Aug 1st, 2005 08:01 AM

Nevermind, I just found your restaurant post.

jules4je7 Aug 1st, 2005 08:56 AM

I was also underwhelmed by the Aya Sofia...I did enjoy the Blue Mosque though, and we were lucky to be there during Ramadan in 2003, so the side street next to the mosque had a festival atmosphere at night, which made it a lot of fun.

We visited Taksim, and went back a couple of times during our 4 nights there to have dinner and shop. I found it especially pleasant after dark when you could wander the back alleys and find a nice place to sit and have a drink.

Wonderful trip report, John. I enjoyed taking myself back through your experiences.

Jules

ThinGorjus Aug 2nd, 2005 11:38 AM

Yes, there are ATM's all over Istanbul. However, in the Cankurtan section of Sultanahmet the only ATM's we saw were across the street from St. Sophia. They are in kiosks. Otherwise, you have to walk up to Divanyolu Caddesi and find a bank.

TexasAggie Aug 2nd, 2005 11:58 AM

I meant to ask you earlier... having gone and seen, how long of a stay would you recommend for a first visit to Istanbul to see the highlights? Think it could be covered with only 2 nights?

Poohgirl Aug 2nd, 2005 12:06 PM

Great post. I like Muffy's style, too.

ThinGorjus Aug 2nd, 2005 04:03 PM

Well, Texasaggie, you need half a day to see the Topkapi Palace. You could then walk over to see St. Sophia and the Blue Mosque. You need about an hour for St. Sophia, half an hour for the Blue Mosque. You would need another day to see Dolmbahce Palace, Grand Bazaar, and Spice Bazaar. There is also the Basilica Cistern, which we didn't see. Chora is also another option, as is a boat ride on the Bosphorus. Three days would be better.

bermudacalling Aug 2nd, 2005 04:16 PM

Hey, do any of you have any thoughts on taking a family with 3 small kids to Istanbul? I'll be in Greece in a few weeks and was dying to do Istanbul, but then the prospect of terrorism etc. daunted us. The kids are 9, 7 and 4, and very blonde, blue eyed. What's the consensus?

ThinGorjus Aug 2nd, 2005 04:38 PM

What does the colouring of your snappers have to do with taking a holiday to Istanbul? I really don't get it. Half of the women in Istanbul have blonde hair.

TexasAggie Aug 2nd, 2005 05:28 PM

Thin is quite right. MANY Turks have blond hair, blue or hazel eyes, etc.

Ok, I will add a night to Istanbul then... thanks for the scheduling help.

bermudacalling Aug 2nd, 2005 05:31 PM

Thin, Thanks for the insight. Shows how little I know about the place. Just thought perhaps in Istanbul it might be proper religious behaviour for women to keep their hair under a scarf, and if ours didn't it might be considered impudent. So, I take it you're saying no concerns about taking kids to Istanbul?

Seamus Aug 2nd, 2005 05:45 PM

berm-
Others may differ, but I'm not sure Istanbul holds a lot of interest for a 4 or 7 year old. The 9 yo may enjoy it if he or she is into history or architecture. Please understand that I am not absolutely advising against it, and think it could be a wonderfully enriching experience for the kids, but only if they are appreciative of the charm and history of Istanbul.
While it is indeed customary for observant Islamic women to cover their hair as well as their limbs in public, there are many Turkish women and tourists who do not observe these practices. On my recent visit it seemed that most of the tourists were adults, though that may be biased because of the places I visited. What say you, ThinG? Aggie?