Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey in November. How warm should we dress? Also wheelchair accessibility. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-in-november-how-warm-should-we-dress-also-wheelchair-accessibility-748008/)

neejas Nov 11th, 2007 05:21 PM

Turkey in November. How warm should we dress? Also wheelchair accessibility.

Four of us are traveling to Turkey for vacation beginning November 15th through 29th. We will be using tour guides for most of our travel.

Our itenarary includes: 4 nights Istanbul, 1 night Canakkale, 2 nights Izmir, 1 night Pamukkale, 1 night Konya, 2 nights Cappadocia, 1 night Ankara

I've briefly researched the various climates in Turkey. We plan on wearing slacks, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, and a jacket. Any need for a wool coat?

My mother is traveling with us. She is recovering from a broken ankle and can walk some but will be bringing a lightweight 12 pound collapseable wheelchair. Does anyone know how wheelchair accessible the above cities are and to the following sites: Troy, Ephesus, Necropolis and Hieropolis in Pamukkale, Mevlana Mausoleum, Musoleum of Kemal Ataturk in Ankara, Topkapi Palace (Istanbul) and Grand Bazaar?

Thanks

adrienne Nov 11th, 2007 06:32 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to remember from my recent trip to Turkey. The Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar will be OK with a wheel chair. I liked the Spice Bazaar much better than the Grand Bazaar because the vendors weren't in your face and you could look at the items without a lot of pressure.

Sites like Troy and Ephesus (and other ruins) will be very difficult with a wheel chair because of the terrain - dirt and rocks. It will be difficult to push the chair and it would be too far for someone with mobility problems to walk.

In Cappadocia you will be able to drive around and see the rock formations and go to the open air museum but each of the caves has steep steps up to them and I don't remember hand rails on the steps.

I believe there is a flat entrance to the Ataturk Mausoleum (I remember steps one one side but we walked in along a paved path. And then a few steps to get inside. The Mevlana Museum only has a few steps.

You'll be able to look at the springs in Pamukkale although the best views are by walking along side the springs and again there is a dirt and rock path although it's not far from the top of the springs.

All the mosques I went to had steps to get in. The smaller mosques were my favorite as they were more accessible and there were few people. In the Blue mosque you are given booties to put over your shoes; in the smaller mosques you take your shoes off. I don't know what the rule is about wheel chairs.

sinan Nov 11th, 2007 09:04 PM

Let see step by step:

Istanbul:

Walking around Sultanahmet Area you do not have problem with wheelchair with couple steps. BUT Blue Mosque is problem because There are lots of steps at the entrance and exit. St Sofia church has not problem except some one or two steps. Cistern has problem because of steps. Topkapi, Covered Market and Spice Market are OK.

Canakkale:

Troy has BIG problem but she can see couple places like Theatre, Museum, and some Ancient entrances of Troys

PERGAMUM:

If you take your mother to Market area (Of course ancient) she may see some places.

Ascleipon has couple of steps BUT I am sure that you can manage except TUNEL.

Izmir:

Ephesus has no problem EXCEPT theater and Library BUT St John church has couple of steps, Virgin Mary's house is NOT problem.

Aprodisias is PROBLEM depend on your tour guide you may not have any problem.

Pamukkale is NOT problem except theater and Hierapolis (She may not see them close BUT she may see them little bit far especially Theater.

Konya:

Mevlana Museum has not problem with couple of steps. I do not know which carevanserai are you going to visit BUT if you go to SULTANHANI you will be OK, I do not recommend AGZIKARAHAN carevanserai becauce there are some steps.

Cappadocia:
YOU CAN NOT see Underground city and some of Churches in Goreme Open air museum. You have to becareful in Cappadocia.

Ankara:
Anatolian Museum is NO problem BUT Mausoleum of Ataturk might have problem because there are lots of steps but rest of the place you won't have any problem

You need wool Coat for your trip

I hope you will have nice days in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz

Susan33 Nov 11th, 2007 09:50 PM

We were in Turkey last Oct-Nov. The weather was nice most of the time, but we did experience a couple of days of heavy rain. On our last day it snowed. I sure wished I had taken something that was waterproof as an umbrella wasn't effective in the wind and rain. Other than that we had a good time.

neejas Nov 12th, 2007 05:58 PM

Thank you for your responses adrienne, sinan, Susan33. Great insight and aid in planning our possibilities when touring the different areas and sites. We will trade our jackets for our wool coats (thanks greatly sinan) and throwing in a light poncho in case of heavy rain with an umbrella (thanks Susan33).

We recently traveled to Egypt and my mother had her wheelchair with her. Amazed that there were some ancient sites that were wheelchair passable.

Leaving this Thursday, Nov. 15th. The Egyptian people, even strangers would come up to us out of the blue to ask if we needed help or if my mother needed assistance. I feel that the Turkish people will be the same, after reading the different posts.

Very excited, with just 3 days left to go, can't wait.