Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-in-november-26462/)

Sid B. May 30th, 1998 06:39 PM

Turkey in November

We will be touring Turkey in November. What is the weather like at that time of year? Do we need winter clothes, layers, &/or summer things?
Any suggestions as to MUST THINGS to dol

Tom Jun 1st, 1998 05:48 AM

I went to Turkey in December a few years back and had a great time. The weather was a little erratic, from beautiful, sunny days in the 60s to light snow in Istanbul. I packed a light water restistant jacket (with a hood) together with turtle necks, thermals and jeans/cords, and layered clothes depending on the weather. Although the off-season weather may not be ideal (although its probably a little warmer in Nov.) the lack of crowds and off season rates make it wonderful for travelling. I recommend a few days in Istanbul staying near the Sultanamet and then a self guided tour from Antalya to Euphesus. The flights and car rental rates were very reasonable. The weather is generally nicer on the coast, and the small towns (which swell in the high season) are picturesque. I kept a journal of my travels, so e-mail me if you need any additional information. With all due respect to Fodors, Lonely Planet is a superior guidebook for the region.

Sid B Jun 3rd, 1998 05:34 PM

Tom:
Thanks for the info as to the weather. We will be on a tour, so that travel expenses are covered. Any restaurants that you especially recomend? Any other highlights of your trip would be appreciated.
Sid

Angela Jun 4th, 1998 07:02 AM

Here are a few towns that you many want to see on your way from Antalya to Efes, with reco's on the must sees:
Datca & Kas - you can take beautiful boat trips from these places to see a sunken city. From Datca you can take a ferry to Bodrum.
Kalkan, Fetiye, Pamukkale (near Bodrum). Dalyan is a must see - there is a river between the lake and ocean and along the river massive acient tombs were covered into cliffs, situated on one side of the river. Lastly, Kusadasi, next to Efes is quite nice. Efes is a must see - you cannot imagine the beauty and incredible size of such a place.

Ozgur Birer Jun 5th, 1998 01:07 AM

I live in Ankara, Turkey. In november, the north and middle parts of the country get cool (1-7 C [day]), and even sometimes cold enough to snow. But south parts which have a coast by the Mediterenian Sea are still warm enough -maybe not for swimming, but having a sun bath- (~15 C [day]).
So if you are going to visit middle parts ie Ankara (the Capital)or north parts ie Istanbul (the old Capital of the Ottoman Empire), you'd better bring some pullover, even a raincoat. If you are going to visit the south region, which is a MUST SEE in terms of historical beauties, you can bring long sleeved shirts etc.

clay Jun 5th, 1998 05:14 PM

Hey Sid: just got back from greece and turkey - loved turkey!!!! if you wanna see jpegs of istanbul and ephesus (just to wet your appetite), let me know! By the way, snow will fall on Instanbul, and the mosques can be quite chilly (even in fall). And I agree that Lonely Planet is better.

mahmut Jul 23rd, 1998 02:03 PM

Turkey is great during this time

Nurdogan Jul 26th, 1998 02:47 AM

If you need any info about my country,I might be able to give you some info.Contact me. <BR>Best wishes from Istanbul and my Art Gallery. <BR>NURDOGAN <BR>[email protected]

Bob Aug 3rd, 1998 03:56 PM

I will be traveling to turkey late aug. Would appreciate seeing the jpg's. Any suggestions on must see sights or restaurants in Istanbul and Bodrum are greatly appreciated.

Nurdogan Aug 4th, 1998 12:27 PM

Contact me. <BR>Nurdogan

kris Aug 5th, 1998 05:45 AM

We were in Istanbul, Turkey in late October and found it to be a bit chillier than we had expected. I would bring layered clothes-sweater and a rain coat-as it did rain quite a bit when we were there. Istanbul was full of fabulous tourist sites-definitely spend some time at the Grand Bazaar and the palace (sorry I can't remember the name of it). If you want to see the harem rooms there go early and make sure you get a ticket. The other place we went in Turkey was Ephesus (Kusadasi). The roman ruins there were the best I think we've seen in Europe and worth the trip! <BR>

Sarah Buch Aug 10th, 1998 08:22 PM

<BR>HI! I will be in port on acruise ship in Istanbul and Kusadasi. Are either of these places close to Ephesus?

kris Aug 11th, 1998 05:59 AM

If you are stopping in Kusadasi, your ship will probably offer a shore excursion to Ephesus. I highly recommend taking it-Ephesus was wonderful and it was nice having a guided tour. Make sure you see the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and the Topaki Palace. <BR>

Nurdogan Aug 11th, 1998 02:53 PM

Do not forget SELCUK, when you visit Ephesus.It is great town.There are so many things to see and visit. <BR>Nurdogan <BR>Best wishes from Istanbul. <BR>Do not forget to visit in Istanbul ,UNDERGROUND CISTERN .