Notices

TURKEY IN A WEEK....?!

Jan 15th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

TURKEY IN A WEEK....?!

After traveling Greece, I have 7/8 days to travel Turkey from June 13 to 20/21. So my ROUGH plan is.....
- ferry to Kusadasi via Samos
- bus to Selcuk to visit Ephesus
- bus (overnight?) to Pamukkale
- bus (overnight?) to Cappadocia
- bus to Istanbul via Ankara

Biggest questions:

- Do I have time to go to all these places? I could allocate more time if necessary.
- Specifically how would I get to these places? Is busing the norm in Turkey?
- Do I need a tour guide in Pamukkale & Cappadocia? (I'm getting one in Ephesus)

Many thanks Fodors!!!
Jan 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM
kja

"Do I have time to go to all these places?" IMO, no. Technically, I suppose you can do it, but you won't have time to actually see much of anything. For example, for most people's interests, I would recommend at least 3, or not 4 days, for Cappadocia. I recommend a minimum of 6 days for Istanbul. Ankara is also worth a couple of days IMO.

I think you would benefit greatly from a good guide book or two. The Rough Guide and Lonely Planet may be of particular use to you, since they provide excellent information on transportation options.

I don't believe you would need a guide in Pamukkale. For Cappadocia, I think a guide will prove very useful for any of the underground cities. I don't believe you would need a guide for anywhere else in Cappadocia if you do even the barest amount of research -- like looking at a decent guidebook.

Good luck!
Jan 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM

If you like buses it is an excellent trip otherwise I would do five days in Istanbul and two in Cappadocia. What is the word for Greyhound in Turkish?
Jan 21st, 2014, 10:28 AM

There is no word for Greyhound in Turkish. There are MANY bus companies (some big ones are: Kamil Koc, Pamukkale, Metro Turizm, Nilufer) that travel to many cities in Turkey.

Search this Thread