Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey car and driver..what types of car available? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-car-and-driver-what-types-of-car-available-559425/)

ekscrunchy Sep 19th, 2005 06:17 AM

Turkey car and driver..what types of car available?

Four of us are planning to hire a car with driver for a 4 night trip around the North Aegean region in Turkey. I have been in touch with a travel agent in Istanbul who has been recommended on this board by at least one Turkish poster. However, this agent has told me that our choice is either a Mercedes minibus that holds about 13 persons, or a Toyota type car that can hold four, including the driver, comfortably. Since we are four, plus the driver, I hope to arrange a vehicle larger than a normal car, but no so large as a minibus. (We would not like to have to sit three in the back of a car, nor do we want to be gallivanting around in a huge minibus.) So far, the agent has told me that there no such thing as a Land Cruiser or minivan-type car for rent at his agency. I would like suggestions on how to proceed. We have our itinerary planned but do not want a set "tour" only an amiable, English-speaking driver who can follow our general plan but allow for spur-of-the moment stops as well.

ekscrunchy Sep 20th, 2005 05:05 AM

anyone?

nytraveler Sep 20th, 2005 06:02 AM

Have you considered checking other travel agents? How about some of the majors here in the US? Or check with the concierge of your hotel for other agents.

(Turkey has all the same cars as everyplace else - I'm sure if you want a big Mercedes and driver you can get it - or an SUV or mini-van - or whatever you want.)

ekscrunchy Sep 20th, 2005 07:21 AM

Of course! I should have checked with others but I felt loyal to the first one since I had been writing back and forth about oour plans. But remember we want a driver, too, so perhaps the hotel is the best place to arrange one. I did look at a rental place's site..advantage..and of course Turkey has the various types of vehicles..my question seems a bit silly now! So, next question..Can I wait until I arrive before arranging car with driver? (Arrival Monday night, planned start of car trip Wednesday am)? A large minibus for 4 plus driver seems ridiculous!

tower Sep 20th, 2005 08:15 AM

EKScrunchy....I have driven most of Turkey(except the far East)..easy driving, good signage, plenty of petrol stations (they wash your car every time). Why not read up on the guide books (Rough Guide is excellent as is our old trusty Lonely Planet), rent a mid-size or full size car, get a good map, and do it without a guide...English speakers are everywhere you'll be going, especially in and around the North Aegean.
Once you're out of Istanbul (take the bridge at Beskitas heading east on E-80 motorway toward Iznit.
At Izmit, take the very scenic coast road # 130 through Golcuk and Yalova and it becomes the #575 toward Bursa. There are a number of hotels just outside Bursa (without having to drive in the very crowded city)..stay overnight, take a taxi (TAKSI) into the interesting town (see guide books).

From Bursa continue heading west on #200, E-90, a few ruins on the way of note (Apollonia and Miletopolis, both on pretty Lake Ulubat...Ulabat Golu) and you'll reach Canakkale (after about 150 easy miles). Ruins of Troy are about 20 miles south of Canakkale, on the Aegean. Overnight could be Canakkale, a large city with plenty of good lodging.
From here, I would consider continuing south along the Aegean to Izmir and then Ephesus, drop the car back in Izmir and take a flight back to Istanbul. One-way drop offs at no extra charge I have done twice.
Just my suggestions. Think about it...and whatever you do, ENJOY!!
Stu

ekscrunchy Sep 20th, 2005 08:27 AM

Dear Stu,
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I have read the guides you mentioned (Rough. LP, also Cadogan) and planned out our trip: Istanbul-Assos; Assos-Foca; Foca-Ephesus-Sirince; Sirince-Istanbul with stops for weekly markets in Ayvacik and Ayvalik. I am sure the driving is as fine as anywhere in Europe but I HATE to drive, even in USA where I live and since we are four travelers, we can split cost of car/driver. I had been communicating with one agent who had set up minibus/driver but now that we realize that is far too big a vehicle, I wrote back to him and have heard nothing in response to my request for changing type of car..perhaps he has given up on us!!! SO: Do you think I can arrange the van/driver in Istanbul with two days notice? I am looking forwrd very much to this trip..have not been in Turkey in many years!! Or, do you have the name of a reputable agent I can have as an alternative to the first one if he neglects to get back in touch? So many thanks!

tower Sep 20th, 2005 11:22 AM

Sorry, I have no agent contacts in Turkey, never having used any. I always rent cars through AutoEurope in the states and they work out fine everywhere. You might try them.
stu
[email protected]

ekscrunchy Sep 21st, 2005 04:43 AM

I have contacted two other agents and both have told me that our choice for a car and driver is either a 13-person minibus or a Ford-Focus type car. I was hoping that one of our experts on this board could tell me if this is true....are there SUV-type cars for rent with driver in Turkey? How can I find one to hire with a driver?

AsiaMinor Sep 21st, 2005 11:43 PM

Dear Ekscrunchy,

What you are looking for is a Mercedes Vito, VW Transporter, Hyundai Starex, Hyundai Grand Saloon type vans and Mr. Metin has already sent you the info. However, there is definitely something wrong with your mail server. Your post box may be full. All the mails I have been sending you recently are bouncing back. Mr. Metin says he has the same problem. He said he tried to send all the info regarding the vans together with their photographs to your mail address and his messages kept bouncing back so he sent them to your other email address (which I don't know). So please check your other mail address.Or try to reach him through other means.

With all good wishes.

propertravel Sep 22nd, 2005 10:17 AM

Hi Ekscrunchy;
It good to keep in touch with your first contact a nice way of showing respect to his time. However check your options with him more in depth.

To my experience : Mercedes Vito minvans are great vehicles to travel. Comfortable, enough leg space, luggage space and to be higher on the road is an advantage for watching around. They are also available modified to 1 seat for guide next to driver and 4 seat at the back facing each other. My vote goes to that one. You can find any car you wish but be prepared to pay for the cost. Focus and Vito are plenty but special models comes with a heavier bill !

Happy travelling,

Murat

ekscrunchy Sep 22nd, 2005 11:48 AM

Thank you, Murat. The Mercedes Vito minivan seems lovely but the price is very, very high. So we will go in a Hyundai van instead.

propertravel Sep 26th, 2005 09:33 AM

Hyundai is good for 4 persons as well. happy travelling,

Murat