Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turkey arrests Dutch tourist (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turkey-arrests-dutch-tourist-1217869/)

Renelle Mar 16th, 2017 03:56 AM

Turkey arrests Dutch tourist

Just as it was expected...
The diplomatic crisis between Ankara and Amsterdam following the banning of Turkish government ministers entering the Netherlands is now affecting tourists: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3534557/posts

European tourists should get ready to leave Turkey shortly.

hetismij2 Mar 16th, 2017 04:15 AM

There has been nothing about it on Dutch news, even though it apparently happened two days ago.
I did a search too in case I had missed it. nothing.
The name seems to be wrong in any case.
There is an advisory for Dutch people wanting to visit Turkey, and bookings are way down.

irnsd Mar 17th, 2017 07:55 PM

After doing some searching on Google, I'm not sure I'd trust FreeRepublic.com as a legitimate news source. A story like this surely would be reported on by at least one other media outlet if it was credible.

It's important to properly vet pieces of news like this before circulating a story with no evidence that might frighten foreign tourists.

Nonconformist Mar 18th, 2017 01:02 AM

Plus even if true not many tourists will be wanting to go from eastern Turkey (a region westerners are usually put off from going to from a security pov anyway) into Iraqi Kurdistan, as per the man in this alleged story.

WoinParis Mar 18th, 2017 01:10 AM

Anyway who cares about The Dutch.
I hope I go to turkey soon but will ask for an invitation just in case.
My name is Flemish. Some illiterate might think I am Dutch !

hetismij2 Mar 18th, 2017 01:20 AM

As a newly Dutch person you are beginning to really get on my nerves Wo.

WoinParis Mar 18th, 2017 02:05 AM

As a newly Dutch you will start disliking Belgians then.
Absolutely normal process. called integration.
Or you keep your sense of humour.
But I won't change !

Tulips Mar 18th, 2017 03:17 AM

This is getting a bit tired, WoinParis.
Dutch people do not dislike Belgians, the way Belgians dislike the Dutch.
After more than 20 years of living in Belgium as a Dutch person, the so-called 'jokes' Belgians make about me, are also getting a bit tired. Please stop being so negative.

WoinParis Mar 18th, 2017 05:00 AM

Sure.
I understand your point. I don't like it and I don't see what was so negative. But so be it.
I'll refrain posting about Dutchland from now on.

Tulips Mar 18th, 2017 06:12 AM

OK then, just for you WoinParis, one last laugh.
Actually funny, this one (if you understand Dutch);
https://www.facebook.com/deidealewer...77659785618717

otherchelebi Mar 19th, 2017 11:02 AM

I have been posting about the dangers of traveling in Southeastern Turkey on my annual threads for the last two or more years.

Turkey allowed everyone ho came to the borders to Iraq and Syria pass until mid 2015. At that time, both EU and USA strongly requested Turkey to stop letting Jihadists through, and Turkey had to comply.

Currently, anyone trying to cross into Iraq or Syria from Turkey is a usual suspect as a Kurdish PKK sympathizer, a YPD sympathizer or an Islamic jihadists.

The border guards may stop and detain anyone they have information about or anyone who looks and acts suspicious, according to their own perceptions. Having documentation is meaningless since jihadists usually have true or counterfeit documentation.

At the same time, Northern Iraq has nothing that I know of which would attract tourists. Hoever, it is a great area for spies, journalists, terrorists and those into deadly extreme adventures.

The fact that Turkey has become an authoritarian country and that the Turkish government is fomenting hatred against Germany, Holland and Austria has nothing to do with with the above.

Unless you work for the government of Holland, Germay or Austria you should have no problems in any of the touristic areas of Turkey including driving between them.

WoinParis Mar 19th, 2017 11:11 AM

Ik kon die link niet volgen Tulips.
Boodschap is dat ik niet toegelaten ben... naar het schijnt is het allen voor een specifieke groep, vermoed ik.

Tulips Mar 19th, 2017 10:39 PM

Het is een recent stukje van de Ideale Wereld - grapjes over Hollanders door Belgen, maar voorgelezen door Nederlanders. Heel grappig.

WoinParis Mar 20th, 2017 02:08 AM

Kan heel leuk zijn, ik zal een beetje op google zoeken.
Walen hebben geen moppen over Hollanders, we doen die over Vlamingen.
Btw, ik been geen Hollander hater... ik hou van dat te zeggen... en de Hollanders zijn minder dan de helfte van Nederlanders.

Wat ik niet graag heb met Hollanders (en heb ik dat niet met Brabanters bv) is dat ze altijd weigneren Nederlands met mij te spreken. Dan heb ik veel professioneel problemen gehad. Ik kan zeggen dat beroepswijze, ik haat contracten met Nederlanders te tekenen !

And I love to be provocative..

Ah, something I hate with Hollanders is that my first love married one. How could she do such a thing ! She dropped me and then married a Dutch !!!!

Tulips Mar 20th, 2017 02:59 AM

Well I'm a Brabander, so not a Hollander, anyway!