Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Turin to Como (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/turin-to-como-1025262/)

DianeK28 Sep 11th, 2014 08:50 AM

Turin to Como

I would like some help getting by bus or train from Turin to Como on October 11. I see that by train I would need to go back to Milan and change there. Is there a direct way to get there?

Mimar Sep 11th, 2014 08:56 AM

Will you be staying in Como town or elsewhere on Lake Como? IOW where exactly do you want to get to on Lake Como?

Turin to Lake Como via Milan is a pretty direct route. Why do you say it's going back? Will you arrive in Milan?

Dukey1 Sep 11th, 2014 09:20 AM

There's a more direct way: YOU rent a car.

DianeK28 Sep 11th, 2014 09:59 AM

I am staying at a hotel right in the town of Como. I will not rent a car in an international location. Am I correct when I say that a train to Como must be boarded in the Milan Central station?

sandralist Sep 11th, 2014 10:05 AM

Even if you rent a car you will be passing through the metropolitan area of Milan, so I don't know why Dukey1 thinks renting a car is more direct. The city is in between Turin and the lake.

Other than taking the train or renting a car, about the only other way to get to Como would be to take a bus from Torino to Malpensa airport and then a taxi transfer from there. But I doubt it would be faster and it would certainly be a lot more expensive.

Mimar Sep 12th, 2014 06:48 AM

Yes, coming by train from Torino to Como San Giovanni, you must change trains in Milano Centrale. By direct did you mean no change?

Is there a particular reason why you picked Como to stay in? Most of us stay in smaller towns midlake (and midscenery), towns like Ravenna, Bellagio and Menaggio. There's a train to Varenna-Esino from Milan Centrale, and the towns connect by frequent ferries.

asps Sep 12th, 2014 08:05 AM

There are no direct trains between Turin and Como. The only practical solutions involve a change in Milan, that may be at Centrale or Porta Garibaldi station. Beware of solutions involving a change of station in Milan (usually impractical).

If you want to be very exact, there is a shorter railway route using the Ferrovie Nord network. Turin to Novara, walk to the Novara Nord, local to Saronno and change to Como lago Nord. This route bypasses Milan but being completely on slow trains with two changes, it would be highly impractical.

DianeK28 Sep 13th, 2014 06:04 AM

I am doing this portion of the trip by myself and will not be leaving Torino until late afternoon. That is why I chose to stay in Como. I will visit Bellagio, Ravenna and Villa d'Este while I'm there. I am spending my last night at a hotel near Malpensa airport.

Yes, I was hoping not to have to change train stations in order to get to Como before dark.

sandralist Sep 13th, 2014 06:31 AM

You really needn't worry very much about either the change of train in Milano Centrale (I think asps made a typo) or arriving in Como after dark. If your hotel is not walkable from the train station you should easily find a taxi outside the station. You could ask your hotel for help in arranging for a pickup if you will have a lot of luggage (and I hope you don't because unless you spring for taxis or car rentals all the time in Italy then it is better to pack very light).

Do you mean you are going to Varenna on Lago di Como -- (not Ravenna on the Adriatic)?

sandralist Sep 13th, 2014 06:40 AM

Oh -- now I see it was Mimar's typo.

Something else you might consider if you are staying Como is to just stay there for your last night and pay for a car transfer to Malpensa airport. They aren't cheap but it might be worth the extra money to you. The airport area around Malpensa is really dreary.

By the way, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of this blog post you will see some tips for the town of Como.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/berlin/berlin.htm

Mimar Sep 13th, 2014 07:17 AM

Oops, sorry about that. Not Ravenna, Varenna.

DianeK28 Sep 13th, 2014 06:34 PM

Thanks for your insight and suggestions. Yes, I will have luggage because I am hiking the first week and that requires a lot of equipment. I am going to stay at a hotel near MXP and will get a transfer there from my hotel in Como late in the day so I will only have an overnight before an early flight the next morning. I did this several years ago and I know there is nothing to see near the airport.

I found out today our guide lives in Como so he should be able to help me with getting there from Turin. Also arranging for a car transfer from Como to MXP w/o involving the hotel which probably would be more expensive. Grazie!

DianeK28 Sep 15th, 2014 05:47 AM

Thank you for the link to the blog about staying in Como. Some very good information provided.

sandralist Sep 15th, 2014 06:28 AM

You're welcome!