Search

Vitterbo in Lazio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vitterbo in Lazio

Hi everyone:

my husband and I have been thinking of going to Vitterbo for a day (we live in Le Marche, so we could accomplish it as a day trip) because he is especially interested in the city, however both of us have never been. I've really never heard much about Vitterbo, and I was wondering if anyone had feedback about it? What to do? Stuff around Vitterbo? I know Civita di Bagnoreggio is nearby, and I was wondering what people's perception of that town was?

We also heard about the nearby Parco dei Mostri which sounds pretty neat--has anyone been there?

Anyway, if anyone has been to Vitterbo and has feedback, please let me know! We'll probably go sometime this fall.

Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:49 AM

In Viterbo, there is a nice etruscan museum, and nearby, in Tarquinia, there are Etruscan tombs. Also check out the National Museum of Archeology there, which is described thusly: "Housed in Palazzo Vitelleschi, it's one of the most important Etruscan Museums. It houses archeological items founded in the surrounding area."

Viterbo was bombed by the Allies during WWII, and the citizens hid in tunnels they had dug. I went into one, with the entrance hidden inside a gift shop. In this one, the citizens hid all of their wine from the Germans. I believe there was even a movie made about that.

--Marv
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:04 AM

Just came across a little travel guide to Viterbo:

http://www.italyfarmhousesrental.com...erbo/guide.htm

And here is something about the museum in Viterbo:

"Museo Etrusco Guarnacci
Via Don Minzoni , 15; Volterra (Pisa); Tuscany; tel: 0588-86347; http://www.comune.volterra.pi.it/museiit/metru.html; open: 15 March-2 November 9:00 am-7:00; November 3-March 14 marzo 9:00 am-2:00 pm

The museum exhibits reconstructions of early Bronze Age tombs and objects from necropolis in Badia Guerraccia and Ripaie. An exceptional set of jewelry goes back to the Oriental Age (7th century BC) while a funerary monument, showing a warrior armed with a lance and a sword, belongs to the Archaic period (6th century BC). There are also Etruscan objects and tombs from the Hellenistic age (end of 4-1st century)."

Don't know if you are into that kind of stuff, though.

--Marv
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Infotrack:

Thanks! Yes, we are into that kind of stuff, actually, so it would be interesting to check out. My husband is getting sick of me always planning trips based around art and architecture, so if he gets to delve into some history and archeology, it will make us both happy.

The tunnels also sound interesting. We are both into caving, including urban caving, so if there were tours offered for some of the underground hiding places, that would be neat to visit.

Did you get to check out the Parco dei Mostri as well?

I will check out the guide you included. Did you enjoy your time in Vitterbo?
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM

There is a restaurant in Viterbo that you might find interesting. It is called Il Richiastro and serves pre-Columbian food, i.e. using no items that came from the Americas, such as tomatoes. An earlier version of Fodors recommended it, the current one does not. We liked it and had a fabulous time even though we spoke no Italian and the owner and staff spoke no English; but I assume that language would not be a barrier for you. Their web page is http://velka.info/richiastro/
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

The restaurant sounds interesting (despite the fact that I am a huge tomato fan). We will look into it. Thanks for the website info too.

About Vitterbo--I have read that it is one of the most medieval towns in Lazio, or at least has that feeling. Did you find it attractive, besides the numerous museums? Just wondering what to expect.

Also, what about Civita di Bagnoregio? Is that nice/worth visiting during the same day?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Jackie, I find both Civita and Orvieto to be better than Viterbo. And, if you spend the nite, be sure to see Pitigliano. Stay at Locanda Rosati if you do stay.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Trust bobthenavigator.
He is excellent.

--Marv
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I enjoyed both Civita di Bagnoreggio and Il Parco dei Mostri. They are both worth a visit. And, as Bob says, do check out Pitigliano. Try to see it at night, on the road from Manciano. It's an amazing sight.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:36 PM

It is Bomarzo the park that has the huge monstrous stone statues known as Il Parco dei Mostri. It is not far from Viterbo. I went there on a school trip when I was a kid and I still remember that it was funny, it was winter and the park was kinda eerie and foggy, but the 2 things that astonished me mostly were the little cave whose entrance is a big open mouthed face and the "out of balance" house. If you get inside it you really feel giddy because the floors are not flat.
Also check out lake Bolsena and Lake Vico, Civita Castellana and its catacombs.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Just a quick note to thank people for their advice about Vitterbo. We did indeed go, and we enjoyed it quite a bit. I had been to Orvieto already before (my husband had too--he was in the military there), so Vitterbo was something different. I was blown away by the beauty of the tiny piazza Pellegrino in the oldest part of the city--how completely charming! It felt very Northern European medieval, not Italian medieval at all.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice! We did not have time to stop at the Park of the Monsters (it was just a day trip), but I do hope to go again.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Jackie, the spelling is Viterbo, with only one "t".
Marv posted info on the museum in Volterra, not Viterbo. Check my site about the area ...the only one in English.www.elegantetruria.com to learn more about our wonderful area "beyond Rome, before Tuscany".
The underground cantina abound in the San Pellegrino area its where the wine was made, and is still kept. Great places on a hot day.