Tulip Time in Holland

Aug 27th, 1997, 05:17 AM
TC

Tulip Time in Holland

We have an opportunity to fly in to Amsterdam prior to a business meeting in Brussels next June '98. I have always wanted to see the tulips blooming in Holland and this may be as close as I ever get. Your assistance will be appreciated, such as: Is the first week of June too late in the season to see tulips? Is Amsterdam the correct location or do we need to plan on traveling within the country? Is this something that can be done independently or is booking a tour necessary? Is it already too late to book for 1998? What else do I need to know and what are your best suggestions for locating good information (besides this forum, which is wonderful) Thank you in advance for your help.

Aug 27th, 1997, 07:00 AM
J Martins

Dear TC
Best time to see the tulips is during Spring. I am affraid that June is a little late. Please check with your nearest Tourist Office and ask for a brochure on KEUKENHOF (near Lisse) or http://pigpen.demon.uk/holland.htm. I have been in Keukenhof almost every year and is really the best place I know where your dreams (about tulips) will come true... Joao

Aug 27th, 1997, 10:52 AM
Tricia

I am going to Holland again in May and so tried the website offered to you regarding Keukenhof Gardens.
Couldn't get it to come up so went into Excite Search Engine and typed in Netherlands-tulips and several came up. One called "The Broomstick" says "one of the most notable places for experiencing the colors and scents of spring is the Netherlands. As well known for tulips as they are for windmills and wooden shoes, the nurseries of the Netherlands ship millions of bulbs worldwide each year and their fields explode with reds, yellows and purples. One of the most famous gardens in the Netherlands is the Keukenhof Gardens in the city of Lisse, southwest of Amsterdam near Leiden. The public is permitted to enter from March 27 to May 2, when over 70 acres are in bloom, beginning withe the first appearance of crocuses through the last of the winter snow. Tulips are next to bloom and you are welcome to stroll the manicured grounds. Also in Lisse is the Museum Voor de Bloembollenstreek, a museum dedicated to the history of tulip raising. North of Lisse is the city of Haarlem, ending place for the Flower Parade, which begins in the village of Noordwjk on April 26. Visit the worlds largest flower auction in Aalsmeer, a short trip from Haarlem. Beginning at 7:30 a.m. Mon-Fri thousnds of bulbs and flowers are auctioned off to nurseries from around the world.

Outside of the Netherlands the worlds largest supplier of tulips is Skagit Valley in Washington, where they celebrate the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival from March 28 to April l3. 1500 acres are ablaze with color. You can tiptoe thru the tulips on you own or take a tour. You can also take the Victoria clipper from Seattle to La Conner, an overnite stay at a local inn and a guided tour of the feilds. Other spring trips are offered to Victoria, British Columbia and the world-famous Butchart Gardens. Another possiblity is the world famous Holland, Michigan tulip festival, one of the top ten events in the U.S (on a par with Mardi Gra). This is from May 7-May 16. Veldheer Tulip Gardens, Deklomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory are all musts to see. ph# is 1-800-822-2770. Hope this helps. Will have to see if I can change my trip to Holland from May to the later part of April.

Aug 29th, 1997, 09:44 PM
jane

Are there other flowers grown in Holland besides Tulips? I heard roses are also beautful there?Anywhere to see them? Same time of year or different?

Aug 31st, 1997, 06:44 PM
sfink

We were in Amsterdam last year-Isuggest you call the Netherlands Tourist office in NYC orChicago - I can't remember-the phone numbers are listed in the travel books. They were very helpful!

Sep 24th, 1997, 03:57 PM
tricia

sending to the top