Search

Tulip Festival?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Susan

Tulip Festival?

Does anyone know when the tulip festival is in the Netherlands? Is it too crowded to plan a trip at this time?

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:14 PM
nancy

Susan, <BR>don't have an answer directly. <BR>but someone turned me onto this site for italy info and it is pretty good. <BR>www.whatsonwhen.com <BR>also, try www.about.com and go to travel, Holland. <BR>Did you try a word/text search here? <BR>goodluck and enjoy if you go <BR>I bet it is spectacular!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:21 PM
wes fowler

Susan, <BR>The National Floral Exhibition in Keukenhof runs from April 1 until mid or late May. Tulips appear in May, preceded by daffodils, crocuses and the earlier bulb plants. Weather dramatically impacts when you'll find the tulips in the bulb fields between Leyden and Haarlem in bloom. Too late and you'll find fields of tulip stems! <BR>If all else fails, visit the flower auction in Aalsmeer - arrive at or near 7:30AM and you'll find millions of cut flowers being auctioned. The auction house is the largest commercial building in the world, about 40 acres in size. From the walkway above you can see the entire operation from the movement of carts laden with flowers into the auction rooms, the auction itself and the gathering of bought flowers wending their way to loading docks. An astounding sight coupled with unbelievable aromas.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 10:03 PM
Sjoerd

Don't know what you mean by "tulip festival", but the tulips in the Netherlands are in bloom from early to mid-April to early May. Best time is end of April. It will be crowded, but not too crowded to enjoy the flowers. De Keukenhof flower gardens are open from late March until mid- to late May.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Art

I was there many years ago. There is a specific weekend where there is (was) a Tulip parade, simular to the Rose parade here in calif. It was in May and the weather was spectular as were the fields and gardens.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:32 PM
Kara

Hello Susan, <BR>There is a flower parade at April 21, see for the route: <BR>http://www.flowerbulb.nl/bloemencorso/route.htm <BR>The flowerexhibition in De Keukenhof in Lisse in 2001 is from March 22 till May 25, see page <BR>http://www.keukenhof.nl/index_nl.html <BR>enjoy your stay.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:04 PM
Judy

I went to Holland last May just for the Tulips,to see the sea of flowers in Keukanuf(sp?) was worth every penny. I was there in the middle of May, the tulips were full bloom, but outside the garden on the fields, most of the flowers were gone, only several patches left. The only draw back was because I planed too late ( middle of April), I couldn't find any hotel room in Amsterdam, I had to stay in Haag,but, it was not bad, the price was about half of what I had to pay in Amsterdam, and with the network of trains and buses, it is really quite convenient.It will be crowded in the Garden, but, it is still a sight really breathtaking.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:14 PM
Art

If you have time, don't miss the miniature village Murodam in the Haige (sp). It shows the entire architecture history of Holland from medieval to current skyscrapers. The skyscrapers are about waist high on a 6'3" person. They have miniature people, airplanes, trains and fur trees among other things.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:51 PM
Beatriz

Love Keukenhof gardens went there last year mid April. Wonderful day trip (Pack your lunch, you can find a fabuluos deli and a bakery at Utrechtsestraat and Keizersgracht). Easy train and bus ride from Amsterdam Centraal Station, the bus a little crowded but it is just a 20 min ride. At Keukenhof don't forget to visit the orchid green house I believe named after Queen Beatrix.