Notices

Tube to Hampton Court?

Feb 17th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Dru

Tube to Hampton Court?

We plan on visiting Hampton Court when we are in London & figured we'd go by train. However, can you get there also by tube? I see that the tube goes as far as Richmond-- is this too far from HC or is the tube another option? Thx! Dru

Feb 17th, 2000, 06:59 PM
Bob Brown

When we were last in London, we free lanced the Hampton Court trip via tube and bus, right to the door. It was a great trip. On the bus, I think half of the passengers made sure we knew where we were and where to go and where to get off. Good conversation all around.
The trip passed swiftly because of the advice and general discussions that were going on. I would not have missed it for the world by taking some canned package. As I recall we took the District Line from Earl's Court to the end of the line, which I recall as being Wimbleton. Then we took the bus. I cannot find my bus route map, but the British Travel Authority in New York will probably have one they will send you.

If Ben Haines is tuning in to the forum, I am sure he can give you a precise answer. He knows his way about, that is for sure. But, to conclude, taking the tube and the bus to Hampton Coourt is quite feasible. We had a good time doing it and I would do it again. Seeing the way people come and go and live was just as interesting as taking in the former house of royalty.

Feb 17th, 2000, 09:58 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

It's pleasant to have Mr Brown's note. Trains leave Waterloo at 26 and 56 minutes past each hour and Vauxhall three minutes later and take twenty inutes to Hampton Court. I'm afraid there are no tube trains there, and that the District line towards Wimbledon is slow. To go in a tourist bus is expopnsive and tedious, as you spend a while getting slowly out of central London, a place which happily has no expressways.

Welcome to London

Mr Brown: Could you, in turn, expand on your words: "Seeing the way people come and go and live was just as interesting as taking in the former house of royalty." ? Which people do you mean ? You reply will help my advice to others in future.

Ben Haines

Feb 18th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Bob Brown

Ben: I meant the people riding the bus. It was a local bus and people were going about their daily lives. Some were shopping, some going to the physician, some boys going fishing, etc. I think half of the people on the bus talked to us about where we were going, where we were from, what they were doing. We were part of the daily gossip because most of the people on the bus seemed to know other people. We were just part of it. Fun ride.

Feb 18th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Lori

Dru,
We took the train from Waterloo out - about 25 minutes, the station is right across the bridge from Hampton Court. When we bought the train tickets at Waterloo the agent told us we could purchase our Hampton Court tickets there as well and save a couple of pounds (we did). The train makes a few stops and "local" people get on and off as well - as Bob Brown says it is nice to see people other than tourists and we talked with a couple of them as well on our train trip out - but then again we always talk with people (and them with us) to the point where we have, in some instances, been invited to their homes for dinner - but that's another story! Hampton Court is beautiful, the gardens are just lovely - enjoy yourselves.

Feb 18th, 2000, 10:17 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I've thanked Mr Brown in an e-mail note, but should like to thank Lori too, and to comment that some Americans have a flair for conversation that adds spice to grey London.

Ben Haines

Feb 19th, 2000, 09:52 AM
TOMMY

if you have a six zone travelcard the train to hampton court if free. i discovered this two years ago and found that by buying the card the day i went to hampton court it saved money

Search this Thread