Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trying to decide on next trip? Any ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trying-to-decide-on-next-trip-any-ideas-703437/)

daveesl May 8th, 2007 05:51 AM

Trying to decide on next trip? Any ideas?

Hi everyone. Well, it's that time again---where to go? We'll have about 10 days around Thanksgiving. We love history, art and people. Not too big on restaurants or fancy hotels. Cold, snow, rain, doesn't bother us.

Presently our thoughts are (not in any particular order)...

1) Go back to Rome, we loved it there.
2) Go back to UK, not so much London, but maybe do some more stuff in Scotland and/or Wales.
3) Go to Paris or surrounding area.
4) Go to Germany, train/drive around.
5) Prague/Vienna?
6) Sicily....hmmmm

Just looking for ideas, got a favorite place? Maybe an off-the-wall idea? Driving or trains are fine.

Dave & Regina

Rhea58 May 8th, 2007 05:58 AM

Don't know what your budget might be, but if it towards low-end Croatia is
not only beautiful but very affordable.

Just returned from Paris & lemma tell you, the euro is not visitor-friendly
altho Paris always is.

Lawchick May 8th, 2007 06:03 AM

From your list I would say Vienna - full of history, art and nice people.

Croatia is not a bad idea either. Zagreb is full of history art and nice people too!

Zagreb is called the City of Museums. You will find plenty there to entertain you.

wally34949 May 8th, 2007 06:07 AM

Are you based in the United States? How about including a stop-over in Iceland? since the cold weather doesn't bother you.

missypie May 8th, 2007 06:09 AM

Florence.

daveesl May 8th, 2007 08:49 AM

Thanks for the ideas so far. We did a short Iceland thing, but not in November...hmmm.

Croatia sounds kind of interesting.

Keep the ideas coming, thans everyone

dave

missypie May 8th, 2007 08:51 AM

You might luck into nice weather in Barcelona.

fall06 May 8th, 2007 08:59 AM

Berlin. Extraordinary history, incomparable museums and architecture, fascinating people creating a new culture, many of whom are fluent enough in English to talk history, art and politics, and are quite willing to do so. Food is blah and hotels are modern, spacious, not a lot of character but very often a bargain compared with other European capitals.

Berlin is a good transportation hub if you want to see more of Germany, or take a cheap Air Belin flight to someplace else.

So much of the enjoyment of Sicily is about enjoying good weather, I'd be reluctant to risk so much rain in November. However, if you love ruins and church architecture, and history, and can't stand heat, maybe Sicilian sightseeing in November is more tolerable than in warmer months.

I think November in Scotland would be miserable. If you've not been to Paris, you'll be browbeaten into going whether you want to or not!

jmgocan May 8th, 2007 09:10 AM

Spain. Madrid and/or Andalucia.

OReilly May 8th, 2007 09:13 AM

Spain! For that time of year, I'd go for either Andalusia or Extramadura.. Stop off in Madrid for a couple of days to visit the museums.

annhig May 8th, 2007 09:27 AM

hi, dave & regina,

I second the andalucia idea. Since you are able to travel at this time of year, it makes sense IMO to go somewhere that is unbearable in the summer. we went to Granada in november and it was lovely.

10 days would be ideal - seville, Ronda, granada, and cordoba.

florence and venice would also be good for the same reason.

london and Scotland are better in May/June or september, ditto most of germany, but I like the berlin idea - it never shuts. ditto Prague and Vienna.

Croatia and Sicily may be closing down in November.

regards, ann